Taxing Problem

geoffbeaumont

Anyone know if it's possible to tax a vehicle with only a temporary insurance cover note?

My truck is still over at robhybrid's workshop, and won't be fixed until at least the last weekend of the month. I transferred the insurance onto the temporary car, but if we do get it sorted then I can get it home without any trouble by adding it to the policy for the day. Trouble is, the tax runs out at the end of this month, so after that I can't drive it unless I can retax it, and I have to produce an insurance certificate for that.

I'm guessing the cover note has to be a permanent one?

I'm pretty sure that I've taxed vehicles with a cover note before, particularly just after buying them.

It sometimes takes an age to receive a proper certificate - I'm on my third cover note at the moment, and that's after a renewal!

I'm pretty sure that I've taxed vehicles with a cover note before, particularly just after buying them.

It sometimes takes an age to receive a proper certificate - I'm on my third cover note at the moment, and that's after a renewal!

Wonder if they'll be quite so happy with one that only covers the vehicle for a day or two, though...? :unsure:

Wonder if they'll be quite so happy with one that only covers the vehicle for a day or two, though...? :unsure:

As long as it's insured at the time you tax it, I cannot see any problems with it. There's nothing to say you can't tax the vehicle the day before your insurance runs out. One day they might actual allow us to tax, insure and MOT a vehicle at the same time. I can never keep up with what's due next!

Yup, as long as there is a cover note for the car for the day the tax disc starts then you are OK. It even occurred to me that one could print his own cover notes as they never seem to have any security markings or anything. I would never advocate such a thing however and certainly NOT drive without proper cover.

Chris

I've just taxed my disco with 8 days remaining on my insurance cover so yes you can tax it as long as the cover expires on say 8th feb and you taxing it on the 1st.feb. I have also bought tax on 30 day temporary cover with out any problems. Greg