Discovery Vibration

John the Fridge

Hi....Hope someone can help, my Disco develops noisy vibration when reducing speed in top gear to roughly 30mph, its very noisy and sounds tinny when accelerating in 4th gear at 30mph and only settles out when I reach 40mph, checked all UJ'S and they appear to be fine, changed the doughnut to no avail, I'm completly at a loss.

Any help realy appreciated........John the Fridge.

I'm not an expert but I have read numerous threads about vibrations where the owners say they have checked the UJs which seem fine, only to report back a few weeks later saying it was the UJs.

Never rule them out until they have been changed.

HTH

Hi. Thanks for your help will order a complete set of UJs today.

Cheers......John

wheels need balancing? Rocky

Hi Rocky.....Had the wheels balanced last week but problem still there, I've also had it to the main dealers and they cant put there finger on it, its driving me crackers, perhaps the only way to sort it will be to change every bush, shocks, tyres ,UJs etc:

Anyway thanks for your help.

Regards....John.

Have you checked the splines in the propshaft?

When they get worned the propshaft comes out of balance.

Thanks Sealt......I'm not sure if my garrage checked the propshaft splines, but worn splines sounds a possibility.

I have decided to replace all the suspension and this morning ordered a new set of shockers, springs, complete bush set, UJs and wheel bearings.

If this dont work its definately going to the scrap yard.

Thank you and regards. John the Fridge. ( Einar Sevarg )

Its easy to check.

If you push the propshaft up and down then there shouldnt be any noticeable slack

Cheers mate.......But change of plan its going the scrap yard.......while driving down the motorway today at 60 mph it went into a vicious shaking spasm and I was very lucky it did'nt cause an accident, checked everything again on the hard shoulder and nothing appeared wrong, drove away again it was ok apart from its normal vibration at 30 mph.heers

I'm completely at a loss.

Cheers mate.......But change of plan its going the scrap yard.......while driving down the motorway today at 60 mph it went into a vicious shaking spasm and I was very lucky it did'nt cause an accident, checked everything again on the hard shoulder and nothing appeared wrong, drove away again it was ok apart from its normal vibration at 30 mph.heers

I'm completely at a loss.

Hi Have

i have had a simalar prob have you checked the pre load on the chrome balls, also the steering damper, wheel bearings

Duncan

Was the "wobbling" from front or rear axle?

Slack in the swivel preload can be hard to with a normal check cause og weight of the wheel and hub.

Jack it up and take off the wheel and steering rod(s) and swing the wheel at the arm,the resistance there should be atleast 1,5 kg.I usually set mine to 2-2,5kg

Worn balljoints can also cause heavy wobbling,cause when they are worned you will get a "variable" track.

Loose steering box can also cause problems.

Bushes usually dont create heavy "wobbling" but makes vibration noises and clonk noises and makes the car wander on the road.

You could also check the brakes,if a spring to the pads are broken the pads can touch the disc and cause many intresting things :P