Ground anchor storage

BogMonster

I was pondering recently, how best to store the KittyGripper ground anchor so that it is quick to remove and use. At the moment, I just lash it to the side of the roof rack, using foam pipe lagging round the roof rack to stop it rattling too much, and a couple of strong bungee cords wound around the KG and the roof rack frame in a few different places. It's secure enough, but a bit of a fiddle to undo quickly and then do up again.

So, what could be used instead? Looking at some mountings on the front of challenge trucks that I have seen pictured in the mags, these seem to be mostly along the lines of a bit of U-section channel just larger than the anchor arm, so the anchor sits snugly inside the channel and is held in by some means, maybe a bracket over the anchor or a pin through a hole drilled in the anchor.

Does anybody have a close up pic of one (or more) of these brackets please?

Does anybody have any better ideas?

I am thinking I could make up 2 brackets along the same lines, one to be bolted to the roof rack, and another welded to a back plate with suitable holes in it to fit onto the spare wheel carrier on the back door, this would then hold the anchor vertically on the back door when no extra spare wheel was fitted (my spare normally lives on the roof rack), which I think would make it really easy to pop off and use.

Any thoughts, or pictures?

Thanks

Stephen

I just used strong rubber straps from a yatch chandlers . They did the job great. They were rubber straps with hooks on the end and you just pulled them over the anchor and hooked them down o stainless hooks and it stayed there in all conditions

waffle4.jpg

Have you seen the way the TonkGripper is mounted on the back of my Ibex ?

Yes I think so, a sort of spike thing through the bottom? (ouch!)

Unfortunately the ends of mine are boxed in and so I would have to cut them out, which would bugger up the passivating :(

An idea I had for doing this and for the HiLift, when I get around to it, I haven't seen anywhwere else, use a length of HD poly drain pipe with a slot in one side for the fluke shank to slide into, just leaving enough proud to get some tension over the end with a yacht or bonnet bungee as mentioned by Read'y.

Haven't got a drawing or a picture as yet obviously. We are using some heavy wall thickness (about 8mm) stuff on the ships at the moment, I am sure I can cadge a few offcuts from the contractor. I am going on leave back to the UK next weekend, if you want a bit let me know the length (under 1m I hope) and I will try to shoehorn it into the suitcase :D

I am going on leave back to the UK next weekend, if you want a bit let me know the length (under 1m I hope) and I will try to shoehorn it into the suitcase :D

Thanks for the offer but I am probably further from the UK than you are ATM :)

Interesting idea though - will have a think about that - ta :)

Does anybody have any pics of the channel type mounting I described above please?

An idea I had for doing this and for the HiLift, when I get around to it, I haven't seen anywhwere else, use a length of HD poly drain pipe with a slot in one side for the fluke shank to slide into, just leaving enough proud to get some tension over the end with a yacht or bonnet bungee as mentioned by Read'y.

Haven't got a drawing or a picture as yet obviously. We are using some heavy wall thickness (about 8mm) stuff on the ships at the moment, I am sure I can cadge a few offcuts from the contractor. I am going on leave back to the UK next weekend, if you want a bit let me know the length (under 1m I hope) and I will try to shoehorn it into the suitcase :D

Check out the Devon 4x4 site they have a picture of theirs under D44 products.

Does anybody have any pics of the channel type mounting I described above please?

As if by majic..

mountfront.jpg

The anchor has a pin welded perpendicular to the main shaft. Also on the anchor is a semi circular bracket with a hole in. A pin on the mount slides into this hole and is held in place by an R-clip.

To remove the anchor you just pull r-clip, slide to the left and then lift this end up to clear mount while sliding to the right. Very easy and quick.

mounttop.jpg

Here's it fitted..

frontfull.jpg

othersidefull.jpg

sidefull.jpg

I haven't got any pics of mount on it's own,but I can take some tomorrow for you if you want them.

Cheers

Steve

That's a very neat design Steve, I do like that, a nice bit of Devon 4x4 handiwork, very well thought out :)

But I have to say I think your anchor is 1) far too clean/shiny and 2) far too straight, I think you should lend it to me for a mild restyle :P;)

What I was thinking for mine is something like that channel, snug fit around the KG, but with a hole for a pin drilled right through the channel and the anchor, sort of where the D44 logo is or maybe a bit closer to the middle of the anchor, and then a sawn off M10 bolt with an R clip on the end to go through the hole. Might also glue some rubber or something on the inside of the channel to stop it rattling on the road. But I might try and do something halfway between the two, perhaps the bit of rod welded on the anchor so you would "hang" the anchor on the back door mount to take the weight, and then stick the pin through (as on my original idea) to secure it.

What thickness metal is the channel that the anchor sits in?

BTW I definitely haven't burned 3 CDs off this afternoon and definitely won't be posting them to you in the next couple of days, they definitely won't head north on Thursday's plane (actually being the RAF, that bit is probably correct :unsure: ) and you definitely shouldn't get them some time next week :)

But I have to say I think your anchor is 1) far too clean/shiny and 2) far too straight, I think you should lend it to me for a mild restyle :P;)

Bloody cheek! ;);) This was on the day I fitted it! :P But it's still straight unlike yours. ;);)

Thanks for the CD's much appreciated :)

Cheers

Steve

As if by majic..

sliding to the right. Very easy and quick.

frontfull.jpg

othersidefull.jpg

sidefull.jpg

I haven't got any pics of mount on it's own,but I can take some tomorrow for you if you want them.

Cheers

Steve

Looks very nive but one of the pics shows both head lights obscured but the anchor and the anti 4x4 nob heads are going to love you with your child gilateen on the front of your car

I guess using it on the road like that would probably be asking for trouble from the law?

It could be modified as a ramblerplough though - same principle as a snowplough but picks up ramblers and deposits them harmlessly in a hedge if you encounter any while laning :D

Jed is that one of yours something you built yourself?

Looks very nive but one of the pics shows both head lights obscured but the anchor and the anti 4x4 nob heads are going to love you with your child gilateen on the front of your car

Not when it's stowed in the rear when off-site they don't. :)

And this from someone who's just fitted one of those bloody huge ARB bumpers on the front! ;););)

Steve

Not when it's stowed in the rear when off-site they don't. :)

And this from someone who's just fitted one of those bloody huge ARB bumpers on the front! ;););)

Steve

Mines is fitted the same as the photo of my brothers truck on the second post.

You still have a hudge steel lump that you can't aford to damage during a event in the most likly place to get damaged I never understood why people put the most important kit in the most likly place to get damaged. :huh::huh::huh:

You meen my plough

I love it, its grate I can push small trees down with it. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've had it on there since 04.

Steve, I'm going to be doing KittyGripper mountings soon. I'm planning something along the line's of Andy's mount for the back but using a cup rather than a spike to support the bottom. I'm having a bar made up to go arround the back of the hard top and I'll use that to support the top of the anchor.

At the front I'll do some sort of the quick release mount which will also serve as stiffening for the bumper (if you use an ARB bumper in anger, don't remove the fairlead gaurd....). I'm not exactly sure how I'll do that but I'll post up some piccys when I'm done.