Defender wing removal ??

Evening all,, before i start searching, or dig out the manual,, anyone have any hints on removing both front wings on the defender ??

Need to get access to the front outrigger to weld the front legs of the cage, and might replace them while i am there, if i find a set by the time they have to go back on !! ?? anyone got a pair they want to sell !!

Thanks all

Evening all,, before i start searching, or dig out the manual,, anyone have any hints on removing both front wings on the defender ??

Need to get access to the front outrigger to weld the front legs of the cage, and might replace them while i am there, if i find a set by the time they have to go back on !! ?? anyone got a pair they want to sell !!

Thanks all

Disconnect and/or remove all the lights, remove the arch flare for access to the side panel bolts --- lots of them, IIRC 5 or 6 bolts up the vertical face of wing/bulkhead joint, 1 bolt/nut on top of chassis rail in bottom forward corner above steering box ---- it's bit awkward to get to :rolleyes: front panel to wing bolts 3 IIRC then it should fall off into your hands/floor :o:lol:

good luck, I wasn't here :ph34r:

Good summary, taking the wings off seems to be an excercise in patience and undoing bolts :blink:

How come the wings contain about 30 bolts or something and the radiator is held in by 3.

Have a look at a series wokshop manual, I think it had some decent diagrams on how to remove the wings, and I don't believe they are any different from defender to series?

Steve

Thanks guys,, was begining to think, either no one knew (which i can not belive on this forum)

or no one had ever done the job (again, unlikley :( )

or it was a darn silly question !!! :unsure:

My defender books (workshop manual vol 1 & 2) avoid the issue

Thanks Ralph,, now have somewhere to start,, where i will finish, is anyone guess :(

Tim, a simple modification you may like to think about is this : fit a multi-way connector into the loom going to the wing. Disconnecting all the electrical stuff in the wing is a right pain in the butt. Using this connector, all you got to do is pull it apart and all the electrics are disconnected

loomplugs.jpg