Legality check please ?

Hi

Considering this sort of arrangement for the new exhaust, but the thing with the plastic sheet on top - it was raining and I had just painted the top - holds the fuel tank inside it.

dsc00535dk7.th.jpg

From a legality point of view, can anyone see a problem with what I'm proposing here ?

( It will be mounted standing off the tub and away from the side, but not that high up of course, I'll also fit up some heat shielding from Alu as well )

Thanks

Looks fine to me. Modern cars have the exhaust a lot nearer to the (sometimes plastic) fuel tank with only a thin alloy heat shield between the two. It might be a good idea to put some kind of heat shield over the whole thing though - similar to how lorries have - to prevent accidental burns.

Les.

Thanks folks, it will be heat-shielded so as not to touch anyone up inappropriately. Just so long as my new pipework doesn't immediately fail it's MOT :)

(it won't be sitting so high, it will be barely off the floor of the tub-side (and it will be flat, not vertical) - it's the 90-deg turn that hasn't been put through the floor yet that's making it look so high)

Cheers

Where will it exit?

Was planning on rear of tub, but electrics kind of spanner that, so probably as far back on the nearside of tub (left-turn at the end of the pipe, "nearest you" in pic) as possible.

Useful warm-air hand drier when wizzing in the woods ? :P

can i ask why you want it here whats wrong with the origianl position or near to it? that way std parts will fit it.ps exhausts in loadbay went out of fashion in the 70s

Hey, this isn't a fashion truck :)

It's only for trials, and there's a fair bit of non-standard already going on so am continuing on that theme. Want as much of the exhaust as possible right up out of harm's way.

Could always go the big-rig style and have it rising up the stack on the roll cage :)

Hey, this isn't a fashion truck :)

It's only for trials, and there's a fair bit of non-standard already going on so am continuing on that theme. Want as much of the exhaust as possible right up out of harm's way.

Could always go the big-rig style and have it rising up the stack on the roll cage :)

if its a turbo disel then why dont you get a lenth of stainless flex pipe and run it straight from the turbo and exit it just behind the passenger door on costs about 60 quid and theres no problems with mots as your turbo acts as the silencer this way you can kept it high and tight to the chassis rails well thats how mine is and it not been ripped off yet or damaged (now i said that it will get ripped of on the next event :o ) just a thought hope this helps dave

Thanks Dave, but it's a cherry-bombed (at the moment) V8. I bought a silencer as in the picture and I'm sure it'll be pretty much needed. There's some flexi-pipe in the system at the moment, but it's rusty and falling apart, so I thought I'd replace with stainless instead and try and get it up and out the way, perhaps quietening it down a little at the same time.

Damn that's ugly :o surely you can't be that pushed for space?

Lol, no - it's just sitting there for illustrative purposes only. Honest, I just threw it in the back. It'll be laid down properly, rotated and covered with a heat shield. Honest !!!

My original plan was to exit behind the passenger door, but the silencer I bought isn't going to fit thanks to my spectacular measuring. This is plan B).

Amazingly you'll find it will get so hot that it will burn the paint away from the tub, even wrapping it you'll find it a problem. And yes you'll have legality probs wihout it being hugely covered up and sheilded,

In simple terms "NO" is the answer for many reasons, PLUS inc if you get water / mud deep enough for it to run in there you will never get it out

Nige

It will pass the MOT as you describe. As long as the pipe does not protrude very far from the bodywork and is neither sharp nor likely to 'catch' or 'hook' anyone it will be fine. The pipe and silencer will not need covering for the MOT but you would be a fool not to IMHO as it could give a very nasty burn. If it were subject to an SVA test then it might be subject to more scrutiny, at least on the exit point.

Most people running the exhaust under the car do not find that it gets hung up on stuff. The problem, IME, is always with the tail pipe and there I would suggest a side exit. That frees up valuable load space. Remember that some clubs (AWDC, ARC?) will fail a side exiting exhaust at scrutineering.

Chris

It will pass the MOT as you describe. As long as the pipe does not protrude very far from the bodywork and is neither sharp nor likely to 'catch' or 'hook' anyone it will be fine. The pipe and silencer will not need covering for the MOT but you would be a fool not to IMHO as it could give a very nasty burn. If it were subject to an SVA test then it might be subject to more scrutiny, at least on the exit point.

Most people running the exhaust under the car do not find that it gets hung up on stuff. The problem, IME, is always with the tail pipe and there I would suggest a side exit. That frees up valuable load space. Remember that some clubs (AWDC, ARC?) will fail a side exiting exhaust at scrutineering.

Chris

Thanks for the input, going back to the traditional underslung idea, will go for a side exit as I'm not running in any of those clubs.

Cheers all for the advice :)