Free Holiday to Dubai .......with Landie content........

streaky

My mate is entering a modified Range Rover in the 2008 UAE Desert Challenge and is looking for a couple of hard working mechanics to assist with service. I usually do this kind of job but this year I am part of the sweep team and get the chance to view the event from the air in a search and rescue helicopter.

In return for your hard work & knowledge he will provide two paid flights from Europe to Dubai, full food & accomadation and a service vehicle etc.

The event is held towards the end of October for 5 days but I reccomend you take at least 10 days off from work.Five for the event and a few days afterwards to take in Dubai and all it has to offer.

It's a FIA Rally raid competing against the worlds best works teams from VW, BMW, Nissan, Mistubishi etc.....

The weather at this time of year is a bit like a hot english summer....you'll be expected to work under pressure and sometimes do the late hours nessesary to get the car ready for the next days racing.

Service can be as simple as changing the oil, blowing out the filter etc...but can also mean changing an axle or gearbox over night. This is hardly likley because Malcolm has hardly anything in the way of spare parts of that magnitude.

If anyone is interested...let me know via this thread or send me a PM listing your experiances...you dodn't have to be a profesional mechanic but you should be competant with spanners and an electrical meter for most tasks around a Rangie Classic.

Thanks guys.....I look forward to hearing from you.

Bugger. :angry:

I'dve leapt at it Streaky, but no way I'll get that amount of time off at this short notice - sorry matey. :(

As for experience - done a bit here and there.... :rolleyes:

Bear me in mind for the future eh? - I can always let you have references from those on here who I've worked with or for....

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks to those who've sent me a PM...I have the same request on D4x4 forum and will wait a few days before compiling the experiance and handing it over to Malcolm....he's paying for everything so I will let him decide.

Noted Matt.

Thx & best regards.

S.

Let me know if you get stuck for service I lived in Dubai for 2 years. Actually I did the Middle East Rally Championship and ended up staying. Dubai I s fab place and there are tons of Europeans and US guys living there. I know quite a few folks out there. Just make sure you carry plenty of cold water. The raid is awesome.

My friend ran a 700bhp V8 power boat engined 110 pick up!!!

RR370.

Do you want to be considered for one of the places? Please send me your current experiance and I'll add it to the rest. Where is your location? We will only provide free air ticket from Europe I'm afraid.

To the guys that have applied...I won't keep you waiting for much longer. Malcolm is very busy on the flight simulator and will reveiw everything over the weekend.

Thx.

S.

Let me know if you get stuck for service I lived in Dubai for 2 years. Actually I did the Middle East Rally Championship and ended up staying. Dubai I s fab place and there are tons of Europeans and US guys living there. I know quite a few folks out there. Just make sure you carry plenty of cold water. The raid is awesome.

My friend ran a 700bhp V8 power boat engined 110 pick up!!!

Streaky,

I'd love to do it and would jump at the offer but sadly ...well sort of :rolleyes: I work 2 weeks in the states and 2 weeks in Costa Rica. Experience wise I've rallied and built my own rally cars since 1989 . Done national and international events. I drive and do my own service....which is a chalendge. At present I'm rebuilding an 1983 RR in Costa Rica and run a Subaru Rally car in the states.

Believe or not I rallied an MG Maestro Group 'N' in the middle east.. Al Tayer motors of Dubai backed me with service. The deal was to put their name on the car for free in return for service. They provided 2 techs and 2 disco's. Maybe you can approach them? Stuart Mc dougall was the Manager in those days.

• 2 weeks later...

To everyone that replied to this offer I'd like to say thank you for your enthusiasm and interest.

The two successfull applicants have been chosen by Malcolm and now they're just sorting out the flight tickets etc.

Julian and Steve will be flying out at the end of the month for some bloody hard work and a very enjoyable tens days in the Deserts of the UAE.

Thanks again guys....& to those who didn't make it.....maybe next year.

Best regards.

Streaky.