How old is my sankey?

ded

My recently acquired sankey is an enigma. It is a narrow track without a tail gate or jockey wheel. It has series 1 type wheel nuts (ie double ended) and drum brakes. There are plates stating the towing vehicle must have a turning tow hitch, however, the trailer one is free to rotate. The chassis plate is more or less eligible apart from a reg # 75 A 48. Any help would be gratefully received.

The plate saying towing hitch needs to rotate is wrong, any 3/4t narrow track I've ever seen has a rotating eye, it's generally on bigger trailers that they can be fixed. The double ended wheel nuts and drum brakes is normal for a narrow track trailer.

That registration is incomplete, should have two letters in the middle eg 73FL74. The two letters will give an indication of the age.

my sankey 3/4 narrowtrack has about 10 degrees of eye movement. It certainly doesn't spin round. This i assume is correct as the nato hitch on the landrover can be locked solid for on road use. or for off road use the Landy has a hitch retaining plate underneath swung away allowing the jaw to spin through 360 degrees. This plate should be retained with a quick release pin and clip. If your hitch on landy is solid you might want to use the grease gun and crowbar to get it moving.

P.S dont forget to make trailer legal with a breakway chain. :rolleyes:

Pete

Update

I mistyped the reg number. It's 75 AW 48.

There is a smaller plate with an assembly number beginning FV.......... I don't have the numbers as I'm at work.......

BTW the lunette (hitch eye) is free to move.

Thanks for your replies

my sankey 3/4 narrowtrack has about 10 degrees of eye movement. It certainly doesn't spin round. This i assume is correct as the nato hitch on the landrover can be locked solid for on road use. or for off road use the Landy has a hitch retaining plate underneath swung away allowing the jaw to spin through 360 degrees. This plate should be retained with a quick release pin and clip. If your hitch on landy is solid you might want to use the grease gun and crowbar to get it moving.

Pete

The trailer eye should spin right round. It can't be locked.

The reason the NATO hitch can be locked is because some trailers have fixed eyes, so the hitch has to rotate. One should be fixed, and one should rotate.

If neither hitch can rotate, an embarrasing rollover may result!

As to breakaway chain with a Sankey, it's pointless but a legal grey area. Provided the safety pin is in the hitch, the trailer cannot disconnect. The C&U regs don't cover this type of hitch but the latest trailers being supplied have breakaway wires as the MOD no longer disregards civvy legislation. No one I know uses a breakaway with military trailers though.

How old can a Sankey be? :unsure: I have a list explaining military reg numbers, but that doesn't show AW, starts at BC and that is 1949/50...

Then, I can't be sure that it's true, it says that KF is 1987/88, but my KF 110 was released in July 1986...

• 1 year later...

Pete

If neither hitch can rotate, an embarrasing rollover may result!

As to breakaway chain with a Sankey, it's pointless but a legal grey area. Provided the safety pin is in the hitch, the trailer cannot disconnect. The C&U regs don't cover this type of hitch but the latest trailers being supplied have breakaway wires as the MOD no longer disregards civvy legislation. No one I know uses a breakaway with military trailers though.

only new trailers made after 1999 had to have a breakaway wire

nbut saying that it wouldnt be a bad idea to fit one,

maybe slitely wrong with the year