Reversed center disco rims?

Gremlin

I have been trawling the forums and the net for a write up regarding reversing rim centers on steel disco rims but i cannot find it again! Any ideas where i might look??

I know that its a just grind, flip and reweld job, but i wish to know what i might need to look out for, especially with the valve hole.

Thanks

Grem

Bowy has also done a set and I've done 8 spokes. There are a few posts about to that effect.

Worst bit is getting them true again afterwards, and make sure your welding is top notch!

For the valve, just drill a new hole, but do it on the stepped in bit, not the flat else the tyre takes the bottom of the valve out!

Jon

I have some - but I got them done professionally so they would be safe and legal in OZ.

You can increase the offset by up to 15mm before you have to flip them, and if you flip them the MINIMUM extra offset you can have is 30mm. Mine are 30mm. Since mine were done by a professional they balanced perfectly and had no leak problems.

I have known people that have done their own by cutting the centre out, flipping the rim, bolting everything up to a hub (undelded), and then spinning the hub to get everything true, then welding.

I have known people that have done their own by cutting the centre out, flipping the rim, bolting everything up to a hub (undelded), and then spinning the hub to get everything true, then welding.

Thats how I plan to do my Unimog rims.

I checked for run-out on my DIY beadlocks like that - worked a treat

I've done a few for my comp racer.

Grinding the welds off is the worse part. To centre them I took the passenger ball joint out and fixed a piece of metal in place to strike the rim at the offset I wanted. Spin the wheel on the hub and hammer it into place. You need to take the wheel off each time to hammer. Once it touches the metal throughout the revolution weld it up.

Works for me.

Thanks for all the replies, so grinding the welds in going to be a bitch! centering is no problem as i had thought of using the a hub to check run out. Now valve placement, any detailed pics or measurement of where i should drill the new hole??

Thanks Grem

so grinding the welds in going to be a bitch!

My Unimog wheels are built the same way, I found the best technique was to grind away the majority of the weld with a grinding disk.

But by this time the edge of the grinding has a rounded off profile, so I switched to a cutting disk to gently get into the edges where the weld has penetrated. If you stick with the grinding disk, you can up taking away quite a bit of wheel, rather than weld

Worked for me, but I've still got three to go.......