4.0l V8 Question

Hendrik

I like mine :)

Can't really say about any weak points, changed the cam chain on mine because I thought (and advice on here said) it was too slack (it was in bits to rectify a minor water leak) but the brand new genuine chain was about the same so it was probably money wasted. Love it to bits just hurts the old wallet a bit these days :huh:

The 4.0 is supposedly less prone to liner-slip than the 4.6. However, there's no substitute for cubes IMHO - the 4.6 has more torque, and torque is what you need. That's not to say a 4.0 is bad, it'll still be lovely and smooth and flexible off-road as all V8's are.

He's got a different lump of vapour now, I could tell you but Will would have to kill me. Which would probably take several years to get round to... :ph34r:

Fridge, who told you that???? :blink: Killing you will be very easy - come within 500 yards of me on Thurday night and you'll catch the killer cold I've got. Everyone else I know who's got that close to me in the past week has got it :lol:

A 2.8 TGV tuned up will make more than 188 bhp and a shed load more torque.

I like mine :)

Can't really say about any weak points, changed the cam chain on mine because I thought (and advice on here said) it was too slack (it was in bits to rectify a minor water leak) but the brand new genuine chain was about the same so it was probably money wasted. Love it to bits just hurts the old wallet a bit these days :huh:

drove one today and fell in love...

drove one today and fell in love...

Easily done :)

I was much the same when I first drove a 3.9 and I'm now on my second V8, though the fact that fuel prices are 3x what they were when I bought it does mean it will probably be the last. I suppose the bottom line is that I don't care if you probably can get a chipped and intercooled Td5 to go faster on paper, I know it won't put the same smile on my face when I press the £££ pedal with the windows down :) :) :)

Mine at 6.5 years old and 38000 miles is worth next to buggerall here now, so I see no point in selling it and spending an extra £20k (which I don't have) on a Discovery 3 (which will use nearly as much fuel and most likely break down every other week). Anybody looking at buying a used V8 model in the UK is getting a bargain if they find a good one!

What are the opinions on the 4.0l V8 in a disco II?

reliable? better than 4.6 or not? what are the weak points?

engine has 105000km (70000miles) any problems to expect?

thx

Hendrik

If the engine does not have top hat liners it WILL sometime in the future :(

My 3.9 needed them at 110,000 miles, just as if a light had been switched-on the engine overheated when under load, about halfway along the Thanet Way as you fall off the M2

Guest diesel_jim
Fridge, who told you that???? :blink: Killing you will be very easy - come within 500 yards of me on Thurday night and you'll catch the killer cold I've got. Everyone else I know who's got that close to me in the past week has got it :lol:

A 2.8 TGV tuned up will make more than 188 bhp and a shed load more torque.

Student flu! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Student flu! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As a post grad it I shouldn't be getting it as unfortunately I'm not out all night getting 'well oiled' every night and, even more unfortunately, I'm not going round getting 'friendly' with as many members of the opposite sex as possible :( Instead I've spent the evening reading a rather dull volume on tax, and inparticularly, VAT. Thrilling!!!

Hendrik - aren't there some other options that could be looked at that might get better bang for buck (5.3l GenIII or IV SBC for example)? If you really want to stay with an RV8 have a look for a 4.2. They are really sweet engines.

Hendrik - aren't there some other options that could be looked at that might get better bang for buck (5.3l GenIII or IV SBC for example)? If you really want to stay with an RV8 have a look for a 4.2. They are really sweet engines.

it's not for an offroader, but looking for a new daily driver...

about the 5.3... that's the next step for the offroader! B)

way O/T Hendrik (soz), 5.3's make soooooo much sense, cost peanuts, can tune the absolute nipples off them, loads of them about...

madams 2009 shopping toy/chase car will end up with one

alternative is the 3800 supercharged - bit heavier, not a lot of pennies secondhand and a blower on as standard... yeeehaa ;)

Ok all,

FWIW with the vast majority of factory V8s the key differences in is the Block area (these are known as Pegsus or 38A blocksd ) ie short assembly.

4.0 and 4.6 post 94 have large jpurnal cranks compared with earlier units, con rods for 4.0 and 4.6 are different to 3.5 and 3.9s, but and this is key 4.0 and 4.6s have differing lengtrh rods too :) 4.0 pistons will fit a 4.6 block, 38As are also serpentine

Some stats

3.9 V8 - 3947cc - 71.12 stroke 94mm bore

4.0 V8 3947 as above :lol: 94mm bore 71.12 (as above) stroke

4.2 V8 4275cc (factory 4.2) 94 bore (again) but......... - 77mm stroke

4.6V8 4553cc 94mm bore (yet again :P) ...BUT 82mm stroke :o

Thus a 3.9/4.0/4.2 likes to rev as std more than a longer stroke 4.6 where the power is developed mainly via torque not high rpm, and suprisingly now people may wonder why 4.6s aree more prone to liner slippage - answer heat and mixture NOT bigger bores in water jacket :) 3.9 4.0 and 4.2 all can have liner probs but the 4.6 is the more likley - however a ikkcle bit of info many may not know is LR "Graded" blocks dependant on the quality of the casting when post 94 they ultrasounded them after being made and graded them, the clue (if stioll there) is on post 94 block a blob of paint of 1 of 3 colours on the inside of the valley area - red yellow or blue. Blue is the worst, and yes many liner prob engines I have known are blue, these have the thinnest walls, yellow is average and red post 97 only red grade blocks were used with the x bolted blocks, but as with all things BL they ran low on money so then dragged out the other colours and used them, so beware post 97 blocks ! I could bore you all more but will stop now !

In essence 4.0 4.2 for smoother revvier engine 4.6 for BHP Torque and grunt but not as revvy :)

HTH

NIge