One of my brakes has cut out!!!

roverturbo

Your brake pads could be down to the metal and turning on the light, or you could be low on brake fluid. As you say the brakes are pulling to one side what could have happen is the level has droped to much in the master reservoir and air has got in to the system. or you could have a leak some where else.

check all Lines, hoses. levels and if there is any meat on the pads still.

... can anyone help me on this?

Unlikely, not without knowing what model and year of Range Rover it is.

Have you done any checks at all? Even if only to check the fluid level?

I assume you don't do your own maintenance.

Put the problem in context, what's the history of the vehicle? How long have you owned it?

If less than 12 months (say), do you have any idea of the quality of it's previous maintenance?

Regards.

Unlikely, not without knowing what model and year of Range Rover it is.

Have you done any checks at all? Even if only to check the fluid level?

I assume you don't do your own maintenance.

Put the problem in context, what's the history of the vehicle? How long have you owned it?

If less than 12 months (say), do you have any idea of the quality of it's previous maintenance?

Regards.

its a 92 model, had it for about a year..its got new disks and brakes, about 3 months or so old..im not sure at what level the brake fluid is suposed to be in its tank..but would that cause one of the brakes to cut out?

Is it back and front that have stopped working? or just one caliper? Could be your pistons in the caliper? Check fluid levels are at the MAX marker on the reservoir, Check for leaks of fluid at your calipers, if they have just been changed, might they require bleeding??

i dont think they need bleeding they were working fine for the first 2 months after being changed..then a cuple weeks ago the hazard came on but they were working fine..i don't think there are any leaks..does the resevour need to be full to the top? i dnt think theres a marker there..i'll check again tho

Looks like it, Question is though, why is it so low? failed top ups? Who did the brakes? they should have checked levels before letting it on the road......................is there a leak? Go have a good look at your pipes and calipers

Problem soloved? Maybe temporarily! You need to find out why its empty. If one circuit has been losing fluid then that will explain why its low and why it now only brakes on one side (there is a chamber in the fluid resevoir which ensures if one circuit leaks there is still some fluid in the other circuit. You must find out where the fluid has gone so get underneath and look for the sign of fluid seepage. Should be obvious. It may be that a pad has fallen out of the rears (they do this!) causing the piston to come out and lose the fluid. Good luck but don't drive it until the problem is solved, even if filling the reservoir makes the light go out!

If it's a 92 MY then I presume it has ABS?

You should run the diagnostic tests as detailed in the tech archive if the ABS light stays on after driving over 5 mph.

Quite easy to do to get the fault codes, not necessarily that easy to fix and can be expensive.

Not wishing to upset anyone but this is a safety critical item and is not the place to start learning about vehicle maintenance.

Have a garage come collect it or get a mobile mechanic to do the work.

When the problem is solved you can start to learn about how things work.

Feel free to come back and ask questions as that is how we all learnt.

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Again, do not drive the car as the loss of fluid has already disabled one of the dual systems and the fact it is pulling to one side says the remaining system is not in good shape.

Steve