300tdi problem.

Ben Jordan

and i assume i should fill each one with diesel before putting it back on?

Best not fill the fuel filter with diesel. It is possible to introduce contaminants to the injection pump side of the filter and you want to avoid that - it is surprising how dirty fuel can be.

Okay this morning i started work on the Wolf. I took the bung out of the bottom of the sedimentor and a water/diesel mix came out. I took the sedimentor to pieces with the help of Les. It had a fair amount of sand in the bottom but nothing major. Bogbuster im assuming you were giving me the part number for a small and a large 'o' ring that’s inside the sedimentor? Because the dealership gave me two large one's. I cleaned it all out replaced the large'o'ring and put it all back together. I let the engine run for about 5 minutes and i had no change of rpm.

I then removed the fuel filter and it was only HALF FULL OF DIESEL. I fitted the new filter (empty) and bolted the support back up. I started the engine (which sounded so smooth) and allowed it to run for half an hour whilst i had my breakfast. When i came back out it was still running so smooth and i thought the problem was solved. NO, i gave the accelerator a squeeze and it had its very slow response and then nearly stalled. :(

I reversed the Wolf off the drive and drove off before i got fifty yards it had a loss of power attack and stalled. It then stalled doing a three-point turn and then again just before i got home.

It has got a lot worse but i noticed this on Saturday, so i don’t think it's any action of my work toady.

Does anybody think it could be the lift pump? Having two tanks im assuming i have two lift pumps? Should i try getting some fuel in that tank?

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I have now got to take my Fiat apart and find a coolant leak on that :(

Ben - is it a Wolf as in LR HS XD TUL/TUM????? or is that just what you call it? (just curious)

Not sure on your twin tank setup. but one lift pump on the engine which supplies fuel to the filter in the engine bay.

you may have electric pumps to transfer fuel between tanks and the lift pump draws only from one tank, or a switch to change between tanks then the lift pump can draw the fuel from either tank.

Sounds like a lift problem fault, did you try bleeding the filter? how much fuel is in it now? i woul dtake it off and have a look in it, prob half full. therefore probably lift pump.

you could try refitting it, and priming the system from the manual lever for the lift pump on the underside of the lift pump whilst beelding the air from the top of the filter (theres a small bleed screw there) when fuel starts coming out the screw hole, retighten. i doubt this will cure the problem as prev stated they do self bleed but could be worth a go.

the fuel line connections would be worth checking to make sure its not sucking in air and they havent become crimped or collapsed restricitng fuel flow.

Could be the lift pump, no idea what arrangement a Wolf has but I assume still a lift pump on the engine which sucks the fuel up from the tank(s) if it is a 300Tdi engine. Or it could be a hole in a fuel pipe, bad connection in the fuel system, or a dodgy tank pickup, any one of which would let air in. If you loosen the bleed screw on the top of the filter housing and pump the lever on the lift pump do you get fuel coming out?

The fact that the filter was only half full of fuel suggests that it is either the pump or you are getting air into the system somewhere.

I did see a 200Tdi Discovery with a similar problem a few years ago, the pipes coming out of the top of the tank pickup had corroded through and a tiny pinhole was letting air in to the system, symptoms much as yours.

Does the same thing happen with both tanks? If it does, then I'd guess the lift pump is kaput but you should be able to test it as above.

No, if the sedimentor is the same as mine it should have 2 large O rings (there may be a third one on the bolt, don't know). It breaks down into 3 sections, the top (which stays on the vehicle) the upper half, and the lower half. There is an o-ring between the top and the upper half, and another between the upper half and the lower half.

Steven, yep 300tdi lift pump is same on an XD.

Ben how did you manage to get that then? thats good going, got any pics? I would try as above with the bleeding and see if you get fuel from it. I guess its a expedition converted one with twin tanks? not gold in colour is it?

I would suspect two things

Check ALL pipes and union fittings.

The beat way to check the pipes is to remove them.

Put one end in your mouth,hold your finger end to the other end of the pipe to blank it off,then suck,put your tongue on the end in your mouth to hold the air[!!]in.You should be able to hold that pipe for at least 20seconds like that.

Check also all fittings.Any that have an olive fitting make sure that the brass insert into the plastic pipe is still there.

Lift pump.

Ten bob say's it's the lift pump.

They have a habit of packing up on the 300 for no reason at all.Generally the first warning is after a service when it won't start.

The 300Tdi like the 200Tdi has a self purge fuel system.You shouild not need to manually prime ar bleed the system.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house.

I have just undone the bleed nipple the primed the lift pump (not like any lift pump ive seen before) and it was pushing a lot of air out with diesel, so i suspected that the fuel filter was not full of diesel after five mins i gave up. I then tried bleeding the filter with the engine running, no success. I gave the accelorator a squeeze and it went great for a couple of seconds before stalling. I took the fuel filter off and it was 1/4 full with diesel.

Here you go JST

wolf061Small.jpg

LOL Yes LOL Ben It does.

Mine is the same !!!

Ben if I remember that Wolf has stood for some time.Has it??

If so I think you'll have to expect these stupid happenings.

The lift pump has a "rubber" diaphram in it.Maybe the diaphram has become perished or has hardened uop through lack of use.

Have you checked the bottom of the fuel tank stack pipes for filters being fitted?

I eat rat poison.

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house.

Ben if I remember that Wolf has stood for some time.Has it??

Have you checked the bottom of the fuel tank stack pipes for filters being fitted?

It has been stood for sometime and had a problem with the engine not turning off when the ignition was turned off, this was suspected to be a faulty fuel solenoid. With use this problem went away so it was never changed. That couldn't be causing any problems now could it?

Tell me more about fuel tank stack pipe filters?

Nice, though I am not that convinced about the colour :D

The lift pump looks like a standard 300Tdi one to me, so Ralph's number is right

It's one of the 110's that was built for a round the world trip IIRC & used with the Freelanders on the 50/50 challenge.

I would forget [well as much as you can] about the pump selonoid.That is after the fuel filter.Your problem looks to me to be in front of that solenoid.

Where are your tanks?

Which one are you using at present?

When you take the fuel gauge sender out there could be a filter on the bottom of the fuel [stack] pipe.

We used to have those filters fitted to Ford Transits.They generally caused problems.

Our fix was to remove the filter from the stack pipe and relocate it in the nearest bin.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!!

I generally use the tank at the rear. Which is the standard XD/110 tank. I then have the tank under the passenger seat (standard 90 i think).

I’m assuming the rear tank will have to be dropped to get at the fuel gauge sender/pick up pipe?

It shouldn't

Behind left rear wheel over the chassis you should see the wires going to the sender unit.

Undo the ring.

And take the sender out.

Make sure there's less than a quarter of a tank though.

The underseat one I would expect to be a normal 90 one.

I'd try the lift pump first.

I eat rat poison.

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!