300tdi problem.

Ben Jordan

My 300tdi hasn't been used for a while. I took it out the night before last to drive the mrs to work a 30 mile round trip. with 1/4 of diesel in the rear tank (the one I use all the time). when climbing hills most of the power will quickly die off forcing me to change down. the power will keep dying off until I’m at a near stand still and then pick back up to full power. On the way to pick the mrs up the next morning the power died until I had to pull over into a lay by, after a minute of restarting and lumpy idle the power came back and off I went. thinking it could be water in the system I filled the tank up with diesel and carried on my journey but it was still doing the same. Occasionally if the engine is at tick over it can be very lumpy to the point it cuts out. I have not had time to work on it yet as my life is a bit chaotic at the moment. I put a bottle of STP diesel treatment in the tank last night hoping it would help. Anyway on the way to work today whilst going up hill it has lost power until it has stalled on three different hills and three times on the way home. as soon as it stall's I try to start and after a few revolutions it will start again with a lumpy idle, slow response from depressing the accelerator and then clear up. Im sure overall it has not got as much power as I used to have.

Is the fuel system on a wolf the same as a Defender? and is there a workshop CD rom? as I will strip the fuel system down unless anybody has another idea?

This car has now gone from not being used very often to my daily driver so I need to sort it fast.

do the filter, try it with a new airfilter as well (or without one.....) check int hoses not collapsing under load - need to take them off to see if they are delaminating.

Do you have another tank fitted? the text implies so, try running from that.

Have you got an inline fuel filter in addition to the bulkhead/wing mounted one.

the lack of use then use shouldnt make any difference to the fuel system onces it all run through.

From the parts manual can somebody tell me how many fuel filters the XD has and the part numbers?

Thanks.

I'd be very surprised if the Wolf doesn't have a sedimentor before the filter like our 300Tdis have - it is usually in the rear RH wheelarch, where you would find the actual fuel filter on a Td5 vehicle.

I'd be very surprised if the Wolf doesn't have a sedimentor before the filter like our 300Tdis have - it is usually in the rear RH wheelarch, where you would find the actual fuel filter on a Td5 vehicle.

Yes it got one of these. What is the best way to service that?

In theory you just need to undo the drain bung in the bottom and drain any water and goo out. In practice it is much better to do it properly.

Take the bolt out (middle of the top, runs down through the thing holding it all together) and the thing will come apart into 4 bits; the bit still attached to the vehicle, an upper section, a lower section and a cone thingy inside. There are O ring seals between the sections which you can probably re-use but if not IIRC they are something like AAU9901 and AAU9902 for replacements, probably worth changing if they have never been done. Clean the whole lot out with petrol or something, stick the seals back in and put it all back together. While you have got it apart you might want to try and get the plastic drain thing out of the bottom; it will probably be seized and break off and I am afraid I don't know the p/no for a replacement offhand but no doubt Ralph will be along with it shortly :D or if not I can probably find it on Monday.

As long as you have not removed the fuel filter at the same time it should self-prime if you start the engine, start it but don't touch the throttle and the lift pump will draw fuel through, after a short time engine revs should drop a bit for maybe 10 seconds, then after about 30 sec total, it should pick up and idle normally again. If you touch the throttle during this time it will probably stall and need bleeding properly, but I have never had any trouble doing it this way.

No you won't need to, I just suggested that because if you later break it off you'll probably need to take the whole thing off again to drill out the broken end and replace it. Personally if I clean one out I always just do it as I described, to make sure it is properly clean, and forget about the drain bung! If there is any amount of semi solid crud in there it won't come out through the tiny little drain bung anyway, so it is a bit of a waste of time really - it's only any use if all you are trying to drain out is water.

While you have got it apart you might want to try and get the plastic drain thing out of the bottom; it will probably be seized and break off and I am afraid I don't know the p/no for a replacement offhand but no doubt Ralph will be along with it shortly or if not I can probably find it on Monday.

sedimentor drain tap is 37H7920 & it's 'O' ring seal 605011 :D

So the parts i need are,

AEU2147L - fuel filter

AAU9902 - sedimentor seal

AAU9903 - sedimentor seal

37H7920 - sedimentor drain tap

605011 - drain tap seal

Is that the right part number for the drain tap seal as all the other part numbers have letters?

Yes, one of each of those numbers you list (I just popped by work to check and it is 1 x AAU9902 & 1 x AAU9903 for the big O ring seals).

Yes the other number is correct too, old Series 3 numbers were 6 digits no letters, so I guess it fits something old and rattly as well :ph34r:

back to the XD Q,. They have the same filter setup at the rear as a TD5, that is a one piece fuel filter that screws into normal top housing, it also has a plastic drain bung on the bottom. the fuel goes from tank to this (Rear drivers side arch) then to a 300tdi fuel fitler mounted in the engine bay.

thats what i am pretty sure of anyway. can check monday if needed.

back to the XD Q,. They have the same filter setup at the rear as a TD5, that is a one piece fuel filter that screws into normal top housing, it also has a plastic drain bung on the bottom. the fuel goes from tank to this (Rear drivers side arch) then to a 300tdi fuel fitler mounted in the engine bay.

thats what i am pretty sure of anyway. can check monday if needed.

I'm surprised it has 2 - but I've never seen one so I can't say!

BTW the Td5 and Tdi fuel filters are actually the same physical fitment, just that the Td5 filter has a hole for the water sensor and the Tdi one has the water drain. The fitting onto the filter head is the same thread and they are interchangeable.

Ben I would do the rear one first (whether it is a 2nd filter or a sedimentor) start the engine and let it bleed, then stop it, do the one in the engine bay, and then start it again. You shouldn't need to manually bleed it at all then, at least you don't with a "normal" 300. You don't need to fill them with diesel, I never have, and have never needed to bleed it yet, just as long as you don't touch the throttle for that first 30 seconds or so after starting.