fuel tanks and guards

JST

Just pulled the Southdown side tank guard off the 90 today and its full of mud, despite there being some holes in it for pressure washing it through. Most of the mud is between the tank and the chassis rails which is obviously hard to get to.

So was just thinking, to stop the mud getting back in coudl you refit it and then use builders expanding foam to fill the gaps?

am i right in thinking that if i coated the tank and chassis in wd40 or similar first this would stop it sticking to those surfaces and give me a formed foam lump?

its closed cell so wont absorb the water but could trap it in there i suppose.

Good or bad idea?

i think taking it apart after could prove interesting!

IMHO,

Water would still creep into the gap and rust all the same....just wash it properly :lol:

Seriously....

A Paddocks one...loads of holes

Pic1.jpg

fitted to a rare beast that will be having its first run out at the end of the month :o

No vapour spray left, the tin is empty ;)

A safety devices fuel tank guard I had for the P38, came with a thick sheet of foam. Filled up space to keep mud out and stopped any vibrations too. It was fine when I removed it 3 1/2 years later with no mud and no water and no rust- but, P38 tank was plastic though :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

Probably better off using the foam , As sometimes small sharp stones get in between the tank and gaurd and a knock against the gaurd may send the small sharp stone pierceing through the tank . It happened to me years ago when i owned a small jeep,

That happened to be Jap :ph34r::blush::blush:

Then remove and clean more often,, once a year, or every time off road :P

theres a difference?

the foam works in walls stopping water etc getting in there was my thought process.

tank is fine its just the fact the mud collects there and i cant see how to get in behind the tank to get to the gap there with the chassis. even a hole in the back of the guard would mean taking a wheel off to get the lance there i would of thought, will check tomorrow.

Why not inlay some nylon pipe of some sort to take water to the area between the tank and guard? Or as Tim says Do it when ever you get it dirty. So the next time you do a chassis change should be about the right timeframe :P