Maximum articulation using standard prop.

upnover4x4

Does any body know the limitation on a standard rear prop on a 300tdi with a donut rubber coupling fitted. Whats the max lift & shock length that can be used with out running into problems with the donut being under undue stress. Also what lift is needed to fit 285/65/16 procomps on 8" mods. How much of the front & rear arches will need to be removed.

Thanks Adrian

Adrian, I am running a 70mm spring lift with gwyn lewis challenge kit, and 35" baja claws................on standard props. I don't use it on the road at all but no problems here, although it is a classic which doesn't have the doughnut on the prop. Also, do you mean 285/75 pro comps? If you do then a 2" lift would be adequate with extended arch flares

No haven't got the doughnut on the prop, but is still a standard range rover prop that (touch wood) I have had no problems with it. I have fitted the +50mm fibreglass arches on the classic and even though I am running 35/13.5 tyres, they only just rub, but it is more the rear tyres just, and I mean just kissing the rear of the inner arch. Here is a pic as it is currently with the above spec

post-6427-1223410105_thumb.jpg

probably best to renew the prop then. Is it easy enough to chanhe from 3 bolt drive flange to the 4bolt config?

Good luck getting the 3 bolt flange off..... i ended up literally grinding the outside of the flange off simply to get the centre bit out to get to the nut... you'll know what i mean when you try it..... also, make sure you torque the bolt up properly when you';ve got the 4 bolt flange on...... otherwise the preload on the pinion shaft is messed up...... And the oil comes out.... ask me how i know!!!

Good luck getting the 3 bolt flange off..... i ended up literally grinding the outside of the flange off simply to get the centre bit out to get to the nut... you'll know what i mean when you try it..... also, make sure you torque the bolt up properly when you';ve got the 4 bolt flange on...... otherwise the preload on the pinion shaft is messed up...... And the oil comes out.... ask me how i know!!!

how do you know?

how do you know?

Well done...

Well, i fitted a 4bolt flange to mine, along with a wide angle prop, didn't tighten the bolt properly, and it leaks oil...... i only realised about the preload etc last night on the phone to a mate..... i'll get another seal and re-do it i think.....

Well done...

Well, i fitted a 4bolt flange to mine, along with a wide angle prop, didn't tighten the bolt properly, and it leaks oil...... i only realised about the preload etc last night on the phone to a mate..... i'll get another seal and re-do it i think.....

Where did you get the prop, & what prop did you use? I understand that 200tdi shafts are diff length to 300tdi ones.

Some people on here have fitted 2" lifts and not had any issues what so ever....whereas others have all sorts of problems. It seems to be vehicle dependant.

I had a 2" lift on my Disco for 6 years...than all of a sudden I started getting the vibrations on the over-run.

I now have a Devon 4x4 wide angle double cardon prop and it cured the problem over night. I tried a standard Disco II front prop which made things slightly better but not 100%.

I saw that Scorpian had the exact same prop for sale at Billing for 100 quid more....do the maths on that and get in touch with D4x4!

Be wary if fitting the caster correction radius arms. I fitted the 3 degree QT items and I think I'll be going back to the standard ones...they seem to introduce more problems than they actually cure.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

S.

Where did you get the prop, & what prop did you use? I understand that 200tdi shafts are diff length to 300tdi ones.

I got my rear prop from QT services, if you order one, ask them how long it will take before you place the order though... mine took a while and they didnl;t warn me,...!!!

they do the wide angle prop with flange for the 300tdi....