Swaping Transfer Box's on an RRC

tjolliffe

Hi all,

I'm looking at swaping over the transfer box on my stripped down RRC in order to gain diff-lock. Will a manual T-Box out of a defender fit on the back of an RRC auto box? (linkages for gear levers etc. isn't an issue). If not is it possible/feaseable to weld the diff locked in the RRC T-Box? (it's only an off-road toy so wont be used on tarmac).

Any one got any answers, ideas or advice?

Cheers

Does your current transfer box not have a difflock then? Even the BW ones lock up, admittedly they do it automatically but they do still lock up.

You can't weld a BW "locked" as far as I know, you could weld an LT230 locked but why bother when there's a little lever to lock & unlock it?

You do realise a Defender transfer box will have a different gear ration in high-range, the RR one will be 1.2:1, the Defender ones are either 1.4 or 1.6:1.

Does your current transfer box not have a difflock then? Even the BW ones lock up, admittedly they do it automatically but they do still lock up.

You can't weld a BW "locked" as far as I know, you could weld an LT230 locked but why bother when there's a little lever to lock & unlock it?

You do realise a Defender transfer box will have a different gear ration in high-range, the RR one will be 1.2:1, the Defender ones are either 1.4 or 1.6:1.

Hi Fridge, yea it's a BW T-Box but it isnt locking up. I realise the ratio's will be different If I fit a Defender T-box but it will only ever be used in low range anyway and in that case i would not weld it locked as you suggested.

What I need to know is whether a defender t-box will fit onto the auto box and onto existing chassis mounts? Any ideas if it will?

Cheers

IIRC the spline length of the output shaft of a ZF is different between BW and LT230 transfer boxes. The BW version has shorter splines and won't mate to an LT230.

No - they are interchangeable.

However the linkages are different, and the propshafts will also be different lengths. Wouldnt be surprised if the mounting brackets were different too!

Surely its easier just to change the viscous for one which works??

Jon

put a old seized up viscous coupling in it. then you will have permanent diff lock. i will have one available in a few days as im changing it at the moment.

Good idea Fender, are they easy enough to change (i've never opend up a BW transfer box before)? Give me a shout when you've taken yours out and maybe we can arrange some way for me to get it from you....

Also i'm not 100% sure I have a BW T-box (having always owned defenders i'm new to RR), can anyone identify this t-box?:

Cheers

Tom

post-6322-1223901129_thumb.jpg

post-6322-1223901177_thumb.jpg

Easiest way to ID the BW vs the LT230.

Does the operating lever move left / right or just back and forward (Lo/Hi)?

If left - Right and Lo/Hi then it's an LT230.

If Lo/Hi only then it's a BW.

If you have a LT230 it's possible there's something wrong with the box or the linkage that's stopping the diff lock from working.

The VC is easy enough to change, there's an excellent description on Ashcroft Transmissions website.

Either way, if it were me, I'd fix it properly, there are times, even off road, when having the centre diff unlocked or at least able to slip a little is a bonus.

Good idea Fender, are they easy enough to change (i've never opend up a BW transfer box before)? Give me a shout when you've taken yours out and maybe we can arrange some way for me to get it from you....

Also i'm not 100% sure I have a BW T-box (having always owned defenders i'm new to RR), can anyone identify this t-box?:

Cheers

Tom

HI the transfer box you've got is a schuler ferguson . It has got a viscous coupling inside the housing between the handbrake drum and the main transfer box housing . I had the same problem with one a few years ago ,i think i welded some planet gears inside which gave it permanent difflock

the vc i'll have is out of a borg warner, so unless yours is borg warner it wont be any good for you.

I have a spare bw transfer box from 1993 range rover. Going to use old transfer box on disco with second hand box auto box so its just sitting on my work shop floor just name a price

I have a spare bw transfer box from 1993 range rover. Going to use old transfer box on disco with second hand box auto box so its just sitting on my work shop floor just name a price

Where abouts are you Gingerlady? i'm quite interested. Does the box work, ie. diff lock?

Cheers

Tom