300tdi axles onto 200tdi

CaptainChaos

I'm hoping some of you fellow Discovery owners/modifiers can help me out here ........

I have an early 3 door 200tdi Discovery that i mainly use as an offroad plaything ..... the problem is that i am shredding diffs for a passtime :blink: 2 rears and one front in 3 outings :rolleyes:

Now i know that some who may know me will say that it's my driving style that is to blame (they dont call me CaptChaos for nothing ya know) but i am sure that it's not just down to that!!.

A little info on my Discovery may be of assistance at this point i think....

I purchased the car with a 1" lift already fitted .... bearmach blues and unknown gas shocks ... .also the car has had polybushes fitted throughout but these are due for replacement this week with different poly bushes ..... other that that the car is a standard high mileage Discovery with just a set of Bronco MT's fitted (245/75/16) but these are due replacement due to cracking but still have planty of meat left on em.

I have a pair of 300tdi 24 spline axles coming on thursday morning and wish to fit them as i have heard that they are stronger and will take more torque than the 200tdi 10 spline axles but was wondering about the rear axles propshaft fitting ........ can i just remove the 3 bolt drive flange from the 300tdi axle and replace it with the 4 bolt drive flange from the 200tdi or is there more involved work than this required for the job?

Also will the propshaft need to be lengthened or shortened in any way?

Hopefully someone can help :unsure:

I have just done this on my defender to get rear discs and 24 spline shafts etc and it is a straight swap.

Out of intrest what were you doing each time to bust the diffs? as that is pretty impressive! :P

Thanks for the help guys ;)

As for what i'm doing to break the diffs ................. they dont call me Chaos for nothing you know :P:blink:

I do have quite an aggressive driving style and dont seem to be afraid of going anywhere or trying slopes and step ups that nobodyelse wants to :blink:

The rear diffs both suffered smashed planet gears ......

DSCF2185.jpg

Where as the front diff is a suspected pinion jump :(

The front diff has lasted the longest but perhaps doing stuff like this doesnt help :unsure:

Baldhu12Oct08014.jpg

DSCF1956.jpg

I honestly thought a Landy would be stronger than this :blink:

Where as the front diff is a suspected pinion jump :(

The front diff has lasted the longest but perhaps doing stuff like this doesnt help :unsure:

Baldhu12Oct08014.jpg

Not having your throttle in the carpet when the front wheels met the planet again will also help. :)

Dear Santa (as it's nearly that time of year again!!!)

This year I have been exceptionally good. Can you pop into Ashcroft for me and pick me up a set of strengthened halfshafts, drive flanges, CVs and 2 ARBs, please?

Ta awfully!

Big-up, nuff respec,

CaptainChaos

On a slightly more serious note:

I've managed to snap shafts and shatter diff planetary gears doing a lot less than that!! 24 spline axles are not a lot (if at all) stronger, but diffs and shafts are more expensive to replace...

I've been looking into all the options available for my 10 spline 90 and have concluded that Santa will be getting a letter similar to the above!!!