200tdi timing case cover and water pump

gruntus

Chaps,

I am in the process of reassembling my defender 200TDi lump and the timing case and cover faces arent exactly machine finishes anymore.

I dont want it to leak or have to strip down again after a few months if it starts to leak.

Ive been told to put the gaskets on dry (or a little bit of grease is acceptable) however from the "real world" is it ok to put a very fine smear of instant gasket to take up the imperfections?

What are your recommendations?

Thanks as always.

Grant :D

For what it's worth. I always use a thin smear on instant gasket/RTV sealant whenever I definately what to make sure that a gasket seals (if I don't trust the gasket to do that on it's own :) ). Cleaning surfaces with scotch brite and brake cleaner is also a good idea.

Might I ask why this RTV stuff that holds the gasket and makes it near impossible to remove.

When I bought my Defender the hub flanges were RTV'd. What a job I had to get the faces cleaned off. All flange faces leaked. I fit the paper gaskets with grease. No leaks. Just pull the gasket off and wipe the faces. No scraping like when you use glue.u

Of course if you don't intend doing any more work in these places do so.

For the rocker cover gasket I use a sliver of grease. The rocker cover gasket according to Land Rove can be-re used up to five times, not that I do, however with any glue it can only be used once.

For any gasket I use grease. I must do this wrong because I don't have serious oil leaks.

Hylomar was develped by Rolls Royce to be use and metal to metal faced components without a gasket.

mike

Do the job once, do it right.

Mike

On my engine there were maching imperfections. RTV fills all the gaps and imerfections and goes solid. I found that if I used grease then I would end up making a mess and covered in it myself. I knew that hylomar was developed by RR hence my using RTV.

Anyone have any comments or experience with the Permatex / Loctite 'anaerobic' sealants (Permatex 51531 / Loctite 515)?

It is almost like a gel - can be used as a gasket dressing in place of grease, supposedly only sets right at the joint face where air is excluded

I have used it in a number of places where the joint face was marred or pitted (stub axle flange, rocker cover) - just wondering if I should stop :ph34r: