OT: USB problems

BogMonster

Got a problem with my computer at work, just wondering if anybody has any "oh yes mine did that and I hit it with hammer no 13 of my collection which fixed it" advice before I summon an expert costing ££!

I have suddenly started having problems in the last couple of days using my memory stick which won't work in either of the USB ports on the front of my PC - says "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it". I thought it was the Gizmo gone phut but then I discovered the Gizmo works in other computers.

So a bit of fiddling and I now see that it works fine in the 2 USB ports on the back but nothing works in the 2 USB ports on the front (also tried Zip drive etc) :angry:

I thought all the USB ports in a PC were covered by the same controller hub doofer wotsit thingy (tech term)? :unsure:

it seems V odd that both ports on the front blew up simultaneously and yet both on the back still work :wacko:

The computer is a Dell Dimension 4550 if that makes any difference, running XP SP1.

any thoughts as to what to check/hit please? I can use the thing plugged into the back but it is a PITFA as both of the ports on the back are already in use (Zip/printer) so I need to unplug one of those and anyway it is a pain to get at them.

ta

Stephen

Got a problem with my computer at work, just wondering if anybody has any "oh yes mine did that and I hit it with hammer no 13 of my collection which fixed it" advice before I summon an expert costing ££!

I have suddenly started having problems in the last couple of days using my memory stick which won't work in either of the USB ports on the front of my PC - says "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it". I thought it was the Gizmo gone phut but then I discovered the Gizmo works in other computers.

So a bit of fiddling and I now see that it works fine in the 2 USB ports on the back but nothing works in the 2 USB ports on the front (also tried Zip drive etc) :angry:

I thought all the USB ports in a PC were covered by the same controller hub doofer wotsit thingy (tech term)? :unsure:

it seems V odd that both ports on the front blew up simultaneously and yet both on the back still work :wacko:

The computer is a Dell Dimension 4550 if that makes any difference, running XP SP1.

any thoughts as to what to check/hit please? I can use the thing plugged into the back but it is a PITFA as both of the ports on the back are already in use (Zip/printer) so I need to unplug one of those and anyway it is a pain to get at them.

ta

Stephen

Steve there maybe a problem with the USB drivers on the PC had similar problems b4 i solved mine by going into the system folder deleting the usb drivers without the device attached then on restart new ones will be installed by the pc. then try your memory stick while your at it if on broadband atwork also upgrade to XP SP2

thanks

can't see anything though - it doesn't appear in the Device Manager (apart from as Unknown Device & I have already tried deleting that)

the odd thing is

1) it works in the back

2) I don't think it is a power problem (which a Google search suggested is common on front ports for some reason) as the externally powered ZIP drive also doesn't work in the front ports and that shouldn't need any power from the port - but gives the same error (and also works in the back ports)

3) the F thing worked fine last week and I have been using it with one or other of my Gizmos for about a year now :angry:

thanks

can't see anything though - it doesn't appear in the Device Manager (apart from as Unknown Device & I have already tried deleting that)

the odd thing is

1) it works in the back

2) I don't think it is a power problem (which a Google search suggested is common on front ports for some reason) as the externally powered ZIP drive also doesn't work in the front ports and that shouldn't need any power from the port - but gives the same error (and also works in the back ports)

3) the F thing worked fine last week and I have been using it with one or other of my Gizmos for about a year now :angry:

Prolly not a S/ware prob if back ones work as you are indeed likely to one have one controller. Take the case apart and check for loose connections- cured mine in the past- as did blowing out the USB ports with compressed air- found i really did have a bug in the system :o

If this is the first time you've the memory stick at the front ant it dont work, it could be that the memory stick is a USB2 and the ports are driven at USB1. Often manufactures use differing speeds of USB front/back.

If you have used the memory stick in the fronts before and they were OK, sometings Bu$$ted! I dont know the answer as I'm not a techy, but you could just get a cheap USB hub (extension lead), plug it in the back and leave it at the front for you to use?

EDITED - Ah, just read your posting more thoroughly (specs clean now), Check device manager to see if they are working, Right Click 'My Computer' and then click 'Manage'. You will then see 'Device Manager' under the branch of Sysyem tools. Click on that then somewhere in that list you will have the USB's listed. Click them and it will tell you if it is working/conflict/enabled etc. From there can you manage???

Effn thing is really getting on my wick now

Front USB ports work fine with my old memory stick (also a 512MB "Crucial Gizmo", possibly the most irritating name in the entire universe wicked innit?) but not the new one :angry:

I must admit I don't know if the old one is USB1.1 or 2.0, that might be the answer, though I am virtually certain I have used the new stick (which is definitely 2.0 as it says it on the outside) in the front ports before. But then I have 3 x Dell computers between work and home so maybe not :unsure: works OK on the other 2 but they are both newer than this PC.

I would have thought a USB 2.0 device would just slow down to talk to a 1.1 port though? Don't know much about it except it is supposed to plug in and work and not cause bother and mutter mutter me pencil and paper never used to break bring back 5.25 inch floppy disks etc etc :lol:

Aha, that may be the answer then :):( maybe the later ones have all USB 2 but the older ones like this are some of each

How do you tell them apart? (apart from plugging in a USB 2 thing and finding it don't work...)

Not sure. Sandbags machine is only 12-18 months or so old, perhaps USB2 comes in different speeds?.

Chris

Not sure. Sandbags machine is only 12-18 months or so old, perhaps USB2 comes in different speeds?.

Chris

No, USB 2.0 only has one speed. USB 2.0 is 400Mbps, and USB 1.1 is 11Mbps. I would have thought that a USB 2.0 memory stick should still be compatible with, and operate at USB 1.1 speeds.

One solution could be to plug one of the two USB devices plugged in the rear ports, into one of the front ones. If it works, then you have a free port at the rear for the memory stick. If reaching round the back is a pain, then you could get a USB extension lead, plug that in the rear, and route it round to the front of the PC. We've done this at work for some of our older PCs that only have rear USB ports.

I can't afford a Dell or anything fancy like that so I have a no-name brand pooter from Taiwan aus. It has lotsa USB ports, 2 at the front and 2 at the back, though I have just found out that one thing that they economised on is the rear USB ports, which are also USB 1. If I were really worried I would fit a card I have which has about 5 ports (one internal for some reason) which are all USB 2.

The only problem I get is that my memory stick moans when I plug it in that it could run faster if it were in a USB 2 port. See if I care :P

As someone who has been in the 'pooter world since the days of the Osborne and the Apple IIE, I must say that USB is the greatest thing since sliced bread :)

And so are memory sticks :rolleyes:

Anyone who has gone through the **** of trying to get a serial device to work under Dos will understand..

Anyone who has gone through the **** of trying to get a serial device to work under Dos will understand..

Oh yes....

I would have thought it would work in a 1.1 port but anyway, I think I shall stamp on it and go back to using the old one.

Thanks for the advice :)