closed

TJ101

Q.E.D.

I think I give up. I'm starting to not really be bothered what happens on here any more.

Me too and I've only been here since June 08.

You've clearly been here a lot longer, but for me when forum members start making jibes at the expense of those with disabilities I'm afraid it's time for me to pack up too.

The post you made is actually quite offensive and not really excused by the introductory apology.

as someone who deals with serious family disability on a day to day basis his post was not offensive at all- it was actually quite funny.

some of the funniest disability jokes i've heard come from disabled people who tend not to like being patronised by posts like yours above- they are more than capable of saying if they are offended or not for themselves.

"equality and diversity training" only manages to highlight disabilities and differences as opposed to aiding integration and acceptance in the community.

Sorry to go so OT but posts as made above touch a nerve very close to my heart.

as someone who deals with serious family disability on a day to day basis his post was not offensive at all- it was actually quite funny.

some of the funniest disability jokes i've heard come from disabled people who tend not to like being patronised by posts like yours above- they are more than capable of saying if they are offended or not for themselves.

"equality and diversity training" only manages to highlight disabilities and differences as opposed to aiding integration and acceptance in the community.

Sorry to go so OT but posts as made above touch a nerve very close to my heart.

Thanks Pugwash. I was aware that in making such a post, someone would be bound to play the PC "aghast-on-behalf-of" card. Heartening to recognise that some people do actually know what a joke is, and also more importantly understand that to make light of a subject does not mean you take that you take the subject lightly. Well played, Sir !

Incidentally, I'm here because I recognise it as an excellent resource for the hobby I'm interested in. If someone writes a post I'm not interested in, then I don't read it. If it's relevant to me, then I do. If I don't care for certain topics or subjects, then I stay away in full knowledge that someone else will find it relevant/amusing/interesting or whatever.

Everyone is different - and I'm really struggling to see what all the fuss is about here. Hence my above comment, designed to purely point out the absurdity (well, the absurdity that I see, anyway...).

Bottom line must surely be: do you find the forum useful and interesting ? I do, and that's why I'm here. Simple enough, surely.

Lansalot and pugwash you are of course entitled to your opinion just as I am to mine.

I would just add that in doing so you do make as massive assumption about my right to (or not to) speak on behalf of those with disabilities I don't see the need to justify it so I won't.......

And with that I will sign off but for good I think this time.

Hopefully the mods will now lock this thread as it has gone way OT.

And while your are on feel free to remove/delete (whatever you need to do my forum membership as this genuinely isn't a place I want to be.

Many thanks.

Lansalot and pugwash you are of course entitled to your opinion just as I am to mine.

I would just add that in doing so you do make as massive assumption about my right to (or not to) speak on behalf of those with disabilities I don't see the need to justify it so I won't.......

And with that I will sign off but for good I think this time.

Hopefully the mods will now lock this thread as it has gone way OT.

And while your are on feel free to remove/delete (whatever you need to do my forum membership as this genuinely isn't a place I want to be.

Many thanks.

I am a son of a physically disabled Mother and a Father who retired early with mental health problems,he was sectioned once and he killed himself three years ago. Please get the message from those that know.........Disabled people find your stance patronising. My old man used to tell some excellent `nutter` jokes :hysterical: Now i hate myself for getting involved in this thread...off to see my psychopherapist

This thread is going so far off topic as to be entering the realms of a general discussion of a type that has been done to death across various forums and media many, many times before.

Every now and again we have these navel gazing episodes just as every now and again the moderators attempt to haul the place back to what it was always intended to be ...and every now and again this inevitably results in another wave of debate over freedom of speech versus keeping the place focussed versus providing a place where mates can chew the fat and have a laugh. We've been there and done it before many times, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Godwin's Law yet - yawn :rolleyes:

Everyone here needs to realise that:

Being a major contributor does not entitle you to a bigger voice.

This is not a cosy chatroom for a select bunch of mates.

This is not a cosy chatroom for any one club.

This is a not a cosy chatroom for any one region.

We all use our vehicles for different things.

We don't all spend every spare waking minute hand crafting breath taking machinery and then spend our spare time competing in it.

We don't all spend our pare time greenlaning.

We don't all spend our spare time restoring ancient vehicles to rivet perfect concourse condition.

Nobody is perfect.

We all have different manual, intellectual and technical abilities.

No matter how God like we think our current abilities in our chosen field we all had to start somewhere.

It does nobody any favours to pooh - pooh the contributions or endeavours of people who do not share our own godlike abilities.

We all make mistakes.

I think this thread has run its course, what needs to have been said has been said and before someone actually mentions Godwin's Law I'm going to close it. Some will agree with this action, some will not - such is life.