closed

TJ101

The door blowing in the wind and the changing a drive member gasket thread with about 1/2 dozen pics sort of gave the game away. Do people really need pics of how to change a gasket?

Forum Announcement

Behaviour:

We also expect and require members to conduct themselves in a mature, reasonable, common sense and responsible manner at all times.

mature, and responsible :unsure::o

As far as I have read in the rules. The forum rules apply to the forum. Unless by default that being a member here we are bound to keep within the forum rules and not post any comments on other freespeach forums for fear of it quoted back to us on here. Perhaps a friendly moderator can quote the rule to me.

For the record can a moderator please check Disco3, ORRP and D44 site for any contravening of forum rules typed by me

By your statement on D4x4, Walfy, and currently quoted by me in my signature - you seem to assume that there should be a set level of techinical ability of any/all members of this website.

To critiscise my post about changing a 'paper gasket' is both big-headed and unfair for those that really don't know how to do it. From the tech threads I alone have done - over 183,000 people have looked at them. You are the first person ever to openly critiscise them, so just doing the maths means you are wrong - at least in part. If you want to approve what does or does not get into the tech archive, then qualify yourself. I don't do that - White90 does. I don't assume anyone knows anything about how to repair anything on a Land Rover, which is why I post any job - regardless of how easy or difficult it is. If you chuck teddies and expect me to catch them, then forget it - I will defend myself, the same as any member would.

Les.

Just because I openly criticised you it doesn't mean that I'm the only 1 to do so. If you had further on down the thread then you would of read others on there who agree'd with what I said so your maths equation has just changed it's odds.

Defend yourself but stick by the forum covenant. Otherwise you leave yourself and the other mods in a predicament with what is and isn't allowed and then any moderation wouldn't be watertight. Don't expect me to sit back and take what ever you say as gospel. You know my opinion on some of the moderating team. I will not stay quiet and not defend myself.

This has been split from the original topic at the request of a member (not any of the above contributors) as it has, as pointed out, absolutely phuck all to do with the original post about Td5 service intervals and will shortly be moved to International.

mature, and responsible :unsure::o

As in your "Lets start a thread having been PM'd and told to behave & Slag LR4x4 wiv me teddy thrown hard in the air innit" off post on Devon then Tim ?

TJ101s Post : http://www.devon4x4.com/forum/finnigans-gossip/o-t-banter/

Mature and responsible ?

Yeah right, don't get too all 'high n mighty' precious and hollier than thou over here thanks - a classic example of why LR4x4 doesn't have a OT forum :lol:

Just to explain what's going on here - as most of you know, I repair a lot of Land Rovers, (although not exclusively). I take pictures of the various repairs as I do them, so that those of you that are interested - know how it it's done in real life - dirt, unexpected problems, short-cuts - exactly how it really is. Walfy took it upon himself to critiscise one of my recent threads concerning the replacement of a drive member gasket - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=32989

He made this post on Devon 4x4 - http://www.devon4x4.com/forum/finnigans-gossip/o-t-banter/.

Now to openly criticise what should, or should not be acceptable as a suitable thread on here, is not acceptable in anyway at all. Nor should anyone assume the technical abilities of an individual - whether it be changing a clutch, or replacing a paper gasket. A lot of people rely and trust me, that is a big responsibilty - my standard of workmanship relies 100% on customers recommendation.

I cannot and will not be unfairly critiscised for what I do on here - the tech threads I have posted on this website have had 183,491 hits (the last time I checked).

I don't ever pretend to be an expert - just someone that takes care in what they do, and consider that just about anyone can do a job with the right guidance and information.

I have taken it upon myself to put Walfy on mod approval, and will ban him if this b ull s hit continues.

This is beyond the pale, and I can't believe the sewer that this website sometimes inhabits with those that think they are above everyone else - we have bigger problems after all.

Sorry for the rage, everyone, but tech advice is the core of this website for anyone - without predjudice.

Les.

This has been split from the original topic at the request of a member (not any of the above contributors) as it has, as pointed out, absolutely phuck all to do with the original post about Td5 service intervals and will shortly be moved to International.

The thread title is total offensive and out of order , I am only guessing you wrote it Stephen :unsure:

A member of admin, has brought the forum into disrepute by the comment in his signature, as per the forum rules as posted

I also take it Walfy can post his feeling directly, without passing approval ?

I have taken it upon myself to put Walfy on mod approval, and will ban him if this b ull s hit continues.

Les.

So, you take it, you can use your position within LR4x4 to ban someone, when its personal, and take away the other persons right to reply

Reminds me why we all left the old place 3 years ago !! :angry:

Whoa, what is going on now then? Has this just sprung up out of nowhere whilst i've been at the pub?

I dont really know what is going on, and to be honest, I dont care. It doesnt seem like any of my business & I dont want to be drawn in & appear to be in favour of a particular persons point of view, but.....

As I have the mechanical knowledge of a slightly retarded infant, I for one appreciate Les doing his Tech Tip bit. I personally dont use it, as I dont yet have the confidence to attempt a repair, lest I pheck it up even more, but I do read them from time to time.

Is the issue that Walfy thinks the whole Tech Archive is for idiots? If so, that is a bit unfair. I am certainly NOT an idiot, but I dont have enough mechanical skill or the confidence to attempt my own repairs.

Is the issue that someone has dared to express an opinion in public? If so, who gives a toss! Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and it seems unfair to put Walfy on Mod approval for airing his.

Or is there a bigger picture that I am missing altogether?

C'mon guys, were better than this, lets not squabble please :(

Martin

If the post is on another forum that is nothing to do with this one then frankly I am amazed that it has been dragged here.

As for the Tech post referred to I see no reason for not doing it.

For exactly the same reasons that Haynes assume that their reader is not a trained mechanic - unlike the factory manuals which assume a certain degree of knowledge.

Taking spanners to your own car for the first time is nerve racking enough even when you have photos of the whole procedure.

This thread only reflects badly on all the combatants.

Sorry but I can't help drawing a comparison between this:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7694989.stm

and this

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=33545

It is anazing how somethings can escalate so quickly and result in serious falling out, claims and counter claims etc, etc,

Feel free mods to lock this too but it strikes me how easy it is for a misunderstanding or disagreement to escalate and be taken by either, both or all parties out of context.

Lets just chill out there!!! - for gawds sake it's only about fixing Land Rover's...none of this is about a cure for world famine, ..... or solving issues like my daugter losing her home........ now that would be something really worth arguing about.

My comments concerning Walfy were based too much on a personal point of view. I should never have put him on Mod approval, threatened to ban him, and most certainly not have made it so public. As far as he and I are concerned - the matter is now closed. With regards to what is or is not acceptable material for the Tech Archive - the only person that decides if it's acceptable is the moderator of that particular forum

I quite often take this website much too personally, mostly because of the efforts myself and the other Mods/Admins took to create it. I was going to post this and then re-lock the thread, but it's probably best left open now. My apologise to anyone that has been offended by this thread.

Les.