closed

TJ101

Tea, handshakes and medals all round!

Good man for your post Les - I don't know who was in the wrong, nor frankly do I care, but it was a good move to post as you did.

Please carry on posting everything and anything in the Tech Archive - even if only one person benefits from it, the post is worthwile.

My apologise to anyone that has been offended by this thread.

Les.

Les

As far as i am concerned,, your apologies for this situation is accepted ,, a step in the right direction :)

(Thread title is still OTT mind )

My comments concerning Walfy were based too much on a personal point of view. I should never have put him on Mod approval, threatened to ban him, and most certainly not have made it so public. As far as he and I are concerned - the matter is now closed. With regards to what is or is not acceptable material for the Tech Archive - the only person that decides if it's acceptable is the moderator of that particular forum

I quite often take this website much too personally, mostly because of the efforts myself and the other Mods/Admins took to create it. I was going to post this and then re-lock the thread, but it's probably best left open now. My apologise to anyone that has been offended by this thread.

Les.

Les, your hard work is very much appreciated by all on the forum. However on occasion you need to accept that this forum is only what is it because of the members that contribute to it- saying that you were wrong is a very big step forward and is never something that is easy to say- it is very much appreciated and I hope very much that the forum can move forward in a positive way from where we appear to be now.

Si

I do not contribute much to this forum but i take alot away (much like hedge funds) primarily because i am an enthusiastic amatuer - i cant drive and i cant modify but i like to give both a go.

I for one would like to whole heartedly thank Les and the other contributors for helping me progress by basic skills with tech updates and the like.

I dont know Les but well done for standing up and being counted, given your profile on here that takes real strength of personality. To all contributors please keep it up whether it be a gasket change or a LS powered, swamp swallowing super buggy.

Merely an observation but this forum is hugely snobbish towards amatuers principally around fabrication skills and cheque book off roaders. If the majority want this to be a coded welders (i dont even know what a coded wleder is nor do i care) ego contest then it will be a very sad day indeed.

Threads like the type Les posted help to restore the balance - well done and keep it up. The advancement of this sport and the growth of great companies who operate in this sphere is hugey dependent on the experts nurturing novices and supporting them through their deliberations, successes and mistakes. The demise is through patronising and crticising every move (banter aside).

It is interesting that contributors who operate commercially and have built a loyal following (X-Eng, Aschroft and the like) seem to conduct themselves in a much more composed, balanced and collaborative fashion. The old adage that thsoe that do do and those that don't preach springs to mind.

The beauty of this forum is that every member has something to contribute (I don't but if anybody wants to wants to buy or sell a business or raise pe or public market funds give me a call!) and no member should feel intimidated in doing so.

Off topic but whilst i am venting my spleen any chance of a spell check or a basic grammar thread on here. The abuse of the english language is frightening.

Interesting comments Wall Street and thank you for your input. Speaking as a moderator I believe that while this forum has a number of extremely experienced members in terms of fab skills and build-it-from-scratch ability I don't feel that it should be biased towards any group and I would hope we all welcome less experienced members. It was how I joined what was then the LRE forum - looking for an answer to a question which I found and decided I liked the place! I can just about stick two bits of metal together with a loose pigeon but I would never claim to be good at it by any stretch of the imagination - however if it comes to later model vehicles then I have quite a bit to offer - so every member contributes in different ways. If there is something that possibly irritates long term users, it is when somebody asks a question that gets asked about every week and has been covered about a zillion times before if only the search button had been used.

As you say there are commercial contributors who have got the measure of how to contribute to this site and probably reap a decent reward from it - and that is great for both sides and very much encouraged.

Spelling/grammar is an interesting issue, should we moderate this or not. We tend not to as long as the meaning is clear, but we don't encourage "txt speak" because it is rubbish. As with other things be it fabrication skills or mechanical knowledge, abilities vary.

Very interesting and funny thread this one and I would like to comment on a few things.

1. Les's tech posts are great! some are VERY basic, just like the one in question and others are a lot more techy, all are appreciated by me as what they are, Information for whoever needs it!

2. I also like to take the P, almost all of the time actually, life is too short not to :lol: and am fairly sure (but not 100% without checking and can't be bothered) that I also took the P out of this thread on D44 forum, So what! what happens on D44 should stay on D44, A personal attak is just that, one directed at one person dirrectly. Wolfy's or anyone elses were not personal, it was just a tiddle take out of what they thought was humerous! people take the P out of me regularly, great! keeps your feet on the ground!

And nothing written on D44 stopped that thread from being just as interesting to those that needed it, (probably doubled it's hits actually :P )

3. I took the P out of a certain other thread on here regarding fuel savings, Luckily the person who wrote that thread has a good understanding of humor, I was not saying that his or any other thread has no right on here, Who am I to decide? as Les says, views are a better indication, for whatever reason the view is for.

It was just my personal opinion that it was a waste of time, I would not dare say that to the writer as it would be an insult. If he considers "his" use of "his" time appropriate then fine with me, and he may know better than me anyway! but I will still have a joke with the subject! Life must be fun!

The main reason people are taking the P on D44 is because this forum seems to be getting rather to serious and maybe "up it's own arse' for it's own good!

Pipe down, stop over sensitive moderating and to a large extent it will moderate it's self!!!

Do not think for one minute that anyone on this forum or any other has the right to tell people what they may or may not do on any other forum in this universe! Total lr4x4 forum suicide would prevail if they did.

Lara

Please keep this forum a good one!

Pipe down, stop over sensitive moderating and to a large extent it will moderate it's self!!!

This is true but another ingredient in the self-moderating mix is people who don't push the boundaries all the time just to try and get a bite ;)

Apologies in advance if this offends anyone, but whenever I see an argument on a forum, the following always springs to mind:

"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics - it doesn't matter if you win, you're still retarded."

Sorry, and I'll get my coat !

Alas this forum seems to pride itself on technical excellence

But damn there has been some rubbish posted in the last week. So much rubbish, a whole load of junk in various diesel posts. Snow, whats yours called, and reposts about so-called LR humour.

and what is the tech highlight of the week - a paper gasket.

Seems to me the fun is being taken out, but the junk left in.

If you are gonna moderate out the fun, at least make sure what is left is worthwhile.

Alas this forum seems to pride itself on technical excellence

But damn there has been some rubbish posted in the last week. So much rubbish, a whole load of junk in various diesel posts. Snow, whats yours called, and reposts about so-called LR humour.

and what is the tech highlight of the week - a paper gasket.

Seems to me the fun is being taken out, but the junk left in.

If you are gonna moderate out the fun, at least make sure what is left is worthwhile.

If I needed to know how to change a paper gasket (and I would!!) this would make the post worthwhile. I really hadn't appreciated the forum was for only 'technically excellent' posts.

Pity really as said by wall street above

"Merely an observation but this forum is hugely snobbish towards amatuers principally around fabrication skills and cheque book off roaders. If the majority want this to be a coded welders (i dont even know what a coded wleder is nor do i care) ego contest then it will be a very sad day indeed"

If somebody doesn't need to know how to change a paper gasket the answer is:-

Don't bother readin' the post.

Apologies in advance if this offends anyone, but whenever I see an argument on a forum, the following always springs to mind:

"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics - it doesn't matter if you win, you're still retarded."

Sorry, and I'll get my coat !

While getting your coat you might want to pick up an application form for some equality and diversity training.

The post you made is actually quite offensive and not really excused by the introductory apology.

I do think the mods need to really lock this thread now as it generating some really 'dodgy 'posts.....