axle breather threads???

SteveG

Steve I think on newer vehicles like yours and mine the axle breathers are some sort of push fit connector, not a threaded banjo like on older ones.

I am going to extend my rear diff one up to where the front ones are behind the engine, I figure if I get them underwater for any length of time I've F'ed up big time and thus I'm probably going to be changing all the oils anyway :blink:

Your Td5 will have the EGR modulator and if fitted the turbo modulator breathing into the main air filter box so no need to worry about that.

I think your next thing to worry about is the underseat box - see my pictures of Xmas wading for why :huh:

Fuel pump is submerged in diesel in the tank so you can forget about that, it will probably pump water just as well as diesel if you really screw up :D

I think the info you have is probably aimed at 300Tdi where the injector pump can have a breather fitted as can the timing case.

Edited by BogBuster

I think your next thing to worry about is the underseat box - see my pictures of Xmas wading for why :huh:

Just had a look at that - cracking trip!

Instead of trying to seal it have you thought of feeding air in?? If you have on-board air, how about feeding off into underseat box with a switch. Seal it up as best as you can and if you are going to wade, flick switch before hand. Air leaking out will stop water coming in. Not sure what pressure you would need to run it at to work but I wouldn't think it was much.

Or could be a completely stupid idea! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Steve :P

On a Td5 you will have pressed in fittings to Axle, I have threaded mine and put in new fitting, have also moved the ECU etc up behind passengers seat.

The gearbox ones i just took old pipe off and fitted longer pipe.

If you want to take easy way out, just extend the pipes.

Peter

Instead of trying to seal it have you thought of feeding air in?? If you have on-board air, how about feeding off into underseat box with a switch. Seal it up as best as you can and if you are going to wade, flick switch before hand. Air leaking out will stop water coming in. Not sure what pressure you would need to run it at to work but I wouldn't think it was much.

To be honest Steve I rarely go through very deep water so it isn't really worth it. The main reason I don't go through deep water, is that most places you find it, under the water it looks a bit like this

P1210143.jpg

(only without the digger, obviously) which makes it an unwise thing to do :D

I don't have on board air anyway, though I may do at some point if I ever get around to fitting lockers. Anyway if you did what you suggest while wading somebody may think I had broken wind if lots of bubbles started rising :unsure::lol: