V8 wading plugs

kevinr

After reading another plug, and being directed to a nice looking wading kit, can anyone tell me where the holes are that I need to plug up? I've tried looking on the car, but can't see anywhere obvious...what am I missing (apart from the hole)?

Sorry but I don't think that's an excuse. You could have cried for a copy the day you joined this forum if you'd have wanted to read it. You can go to http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com and download a copy for the 1998 MY Discovery, which is the same.

If im honest, im getting a little fed up of coming on here only to see a handful of posters portraying a very 'holier than thou' and condiscending attitude toward others.

you were kind enough to attach the page from the handbook that contained the information this member sought, but I feel you even used that in order to aid your point scoring.

Why should this person have to have an excuse, and particularly what business of yours is it to decide if it is valid or not?!

Had I not owned a defender before my discovery I would have never dreamed that there was the information within the handbook that is there, Id never have thought to look there for information about off road driving and wading plugs. Handbooks generally in my experience contain rudimentary information on the operation of each switch, lever, button, dial etc and how to change fuses and fluids.

Is this forum not a technical 'resource'? were we all not new to land rover ownership at one point? There are many people on here who are more than happy to share their knowledge freely and without prejudice. It saddens me when I see things like this. Perhaps in future, if the question affects your sensibilities, try not posting. :(

Kevin, It is quite forseeable that you have been looking in the correct places and not seeing the holes because they are already plugged. On my most recent discovery and the spare engine I purchased for it, one or both of the wading plug holes had indeed been plugged. If you do plug them, you may wish to only plug them when you know you shall be wading, or periodically remove them to allow anything within to drain. The problem with the plugs being in permanently is it stops you identifying oil leaks etc which can be damaging to the vehicle.

your other option is of course breather pipes with adaptors screwed into the wading plug holes. If clear ones are used, you still get some early warning of leaks etc.

• Like 1

Thank you :). I have to go back under to take another look at my speed sensor..don't think i seated it correctly :blush: so I'll have another squint for the plugs.

Though I don't think I need those holes to see if I have any leaks..the whole damned area is just plastered with oul..not sure where it's coming from, but all the levels are good and it's not leaking into anything major, like the handbrake :)

reminds me, my speedo's just stopped reading also. must get under there and see why

yeah, my old one came off in 2 bits :lol: but it threw the whole performance out, so I was glad to get it sorted, but what an expensive bit of kit! £56 for a lump of platic and a spinning magnet <_< ..dealer part only!!

Kevenr.. Your 3.9 dose not have a wading plug in the timing cover thats only diesels, and if you have an auto (which most ES's are) you don't have one on the bell housing either.

So if you do have an auto, ignore the previous info above, they may be already be plugged.

I dont own a disco so cannot say for sure - i lurk in this section for interesting reading on v8's but...

If a Disco is like any other rover you will have nothing to plug on the axle. You should however have some breathers, which will come off the top of the axle casings and go somewhere nice and high. On my 90 the front axle goes to the engine bay, the rear axle goes up to where the brake lights are.

You shouldnt need to do anything to these, but if the pipe is missing and you want to do some wading then you could do with replacing the pipe (i have some blue nylon tubing on mine that i got out of my dads garage) and routing the end somewhere out of the reach of water. These breathers stop water being sucked in when the warm axle casing is plunged into cold water and causes the air in the case to contract, sucking in whatever it happens to be submerged in.

There are similar breathers on both the gearbox and transfer. Mine route forward and are attached to the bulkhead.

You might want to check that they work too, my axle breathers were full of that horrible oily grime that seems to cover everything. Totally blocked. I didnt notice until my rear passenger hub started throwing oil out...

thanks :)..yes I do have breathers fitted there, they come out at the back of the engine bay, but I'm looking to extend therse into the snorkel I'm looking to fit. My car is due in the garage in 2 weeks to have the clutch replaced, I'll see if he can check the breathers for me while he has it off the floor.

Thanks teabag, mine is a manual....I just don't like auto's :)

so fro what I can gather, I'm looking for holes in the bellhousing and on the axels?

Ok, the bell housing plug is fitted into the hole thats at the bottom and in the centre of the bell housing flange where it bolts onto the engine.

On the L/H/S look to the front, you will see a hole in the flange the same size as the plug thats where the plug screws into when not in use. Well that was LR's intention. If you are lucky you may find a plug located there.

Do the breathers just come off the axle? i.e easy to remove to see if theyre blocked?

Just clean the axle case around them like you would with any gearbox filler or whatever, then undo the bolt and clean the bolt and banjo fitting, I just gave them a squirt of WD40 and blew them through with compressed air... Ensure the actual breather pipe is clear as well...

Hi. I just want to clarify this. I have a 3.9 V8 Auto ES. Am I correct in saying I do not need to worry about wading plugs?

I was out on Sunday in some quite deep muddy puddles so i'm a little concerned.

Thanks

Brian

Yes Brian