Aggggggggggggg

The 110 2.5na was getting a wee bit hard to start , ie needing a bit longer on turning the key. Well the other day I had used her to go to town came home parked up all seemed ok. When I went back the next day she would not start at all flattened the battery and even tried a bump start no joy. I had thought it might have been low on diesel so I put some in, I primed the fuel filter, checked for diesel at the injectors which I had. Cleaned out the fuel filter although not really dirty. checked the stop solenoid clicking ok, but changed it anyway. Still no joy. I am getting voltage at the heater pulgs with the key turned.

I had recently put a new air filter in as she was smokey. I blew out the new filter it had some black dust in it. I looked at the oil fill bung and dipstick not milkily. Checked the timing belt as I have a snapped one on my Disco it was ok pulley turning on cranking.

Could she have broken or badly worn rings and low on compression?. It has always been a dead engine but always got me from A to B.

I am stumped the only other thing I can add is (not wanting to sound obvious but it is as if she is just not fireing).

Apologies for the short story but this really seems to be the way Land Rovers are. I had 5 up ontil recently and I think I will drop down to 3 very soon. :(:(:(

Mine used to do this too. Turned out that the shaft seal on the injection pump was shot. This emptied the pump of fuel after it had been standing for a couple of days. The way to start it was to hand pump first to fill up and then try to start. Look for signs of leaking fuel around the front engine cover.

I agree with cat. First check the battery.

I had the same problem as the colder days began and I replaced the glow plugs, even as the old ones seemed to be ok.

That solved the problem. Now starting on the first turn no matter how cold. Also that was by far the ceapest option.

I agree with cat. First check the battery.

I had the same problem as the colder days began and I replaced the glow plugs, even as the old ones seemed to be ok.

That solved the problem. Now starting on the first turn no matter how cold. Also that was by far the ceapest option.

As a next try once you have checked the battery, run a jump lead from the battery negative to a convienient engine web/earth near the starter motor. I have just diagnosed mine this way. Bad earths in several places.

Pete

I am waiting for the battery to charge. It is taking the charge ok it started at 12.68 and last check it was over 13. The battery in only about 3 months at most old. It is a 663 so should have plenty of clout. I went for this as I sometimes use a winch and was advised this was the best size to go for. Would a hydometer do to check it as I have one somewhere.

Couldn,t talk the wife into giving me a tow start. As again the battery would not start her. So I got the bro out with his Disco1. At first I thought she was not going to start but then she coughed and spluttered in to life bellchng out massive amounts of blueish smoke. It soon cleared and I had my normal amount of smoke. Do diesel engine flood like a petrol would do?

I am not happy with the smoke even as it is for my 110 I need a pro have a look.

At least it is driving again. :P

I am waiting for the battery to charge. It is taking the charge ok it started at 12.68 and last check it was over 13. The battery in only about 3 months at most old. It is a 663 so should have plenty of clout. I went for this as I sometimes use a winch and was advised this was the best size to go for. Would a hydometer do to check it as I have one somewhere.

Unlikely the battery then. So needs a check of all earth and battery connections.

As to smoke on eventual start - surely turning over repeatedly will draw un-burnt fuel into the cylinders which on final starting will bellow out on final firing a bit akin to a flooded petrol... or am I talking out the rear of my neck??

I go with what Pat said, check you have a feed to glow plugs using a 12v light bulb between the heater plug wiring Black/yellow and the engine block.

If you have a feed change the plugs.

It sounds as if there is no pre heating going on. By dragging it around you are creating warmth by compressing/combusting the cold diesel which is in at the start of the process. hence after a few tries you will have heated the bores enough for it to cough into life with plenty of smoke. Now the cold weather is here you are seeing the culmination of three things, battery, cold air, pre heating.

And do try the ^^^^^ about the jump lead if your starter is slow turning over with a full battery.

Pete

My 200TDi hasn't used glow plugs for 3 years, still starts and runs perfectly..even in the middle of winter, so its unlikely that is the cause....

What the others have said about the battery connections is definitely worth checking out, I replaced my battery cables when I fitted my winches last year, when I was working on the electrics recently I was very surprised to find the earth connections have already begun to incur high resistance because of corrosion...not even 12months later. I took them off, gave them a good seeing to with a wire brush and they are good as new now, never underestimate the problems relating to poor earth connections! The problem of poor earth connections will be more prevalent during colder temperatures; more power needed to start cold engine, more current through earth connections etc etc...

matt

Two different animals, Matt. The Tdi is direct injection and should normally not need glowplugs, the Td is a swirl chamber diesel needing them to get going.

Quite right Lars...sorry missed the engine details in the first post, actually says its a 2.5na after re-reading.. i'll get back in my box....