Gearbox problems

I had a new Ashcrofts gearbox fitted a couple of months back. Together with a new clutch.

Six months earlier I had just had a new clutch, master cylinder, slave cylinder and hose. But the clutch was replaced again due to the gearbox leaking oil all over it which got baked on like tar.

Now I seem to have no synchromesh on third gear unless I drive for an hour and get everything really hot. I can change through all the other gears perfectly, but changing down from 4th to third is almost impossible except at almost a standstill. Even double declutching has no effect at all.

Checked the fluid and the free play adjustment today which made no difference.

Its going over to AJS on Friday to be looked at, but meanwhile any ideas?

Sounds like the synchro ring is for some reason sticking on the synchro hub....... and only releasing when really warmed through...... tis a nightmare when it's one of those things that means it has to come right apart to see whats going on...... and even then, it might not be obvious...... worth fitting a new synchro ring whilst it;'s in bits anyway... as the fault is in that area somewhere......

Any reports on what was the cause of this gearbox problem. Mine is a similar story - LT77s recon box fitted, new clutch, ATF, correct level - tricky change (it crunches) from 4th to 3rd when slowing down over 30mph. Under 30 4th to 3rd and it will go in, but with a little more pressure than normally necessary. it was initially a tricky change up to 3rd and 4th, but i adjusted the bias and this is fine now, just the gear crunching.... Getting a little tired of it now - i just want to drive it for a bit before the next thing goes wrong!!!! At least i've got the heater working ok!

My R380 box has got a nasty change from 1st to 2nd all others are ok ish, might be the 270,000 miles on it but not noisy or clonky in any way.

Must av a good one as I was once told that all LT77 and R380s need rebuilding every 100,000 as the output shaft an gear wares.

It has ATF in it. Its going in tomorrow so they can have a drive and for the MOT so I suppose I better wash some of the mud off it :o

It was sticky to change up too, but adjusting the bias fixed that. It has now started occasionaly crunching changing up to 3rd, but changing down to 3rd is virtually impossible above about 15mph.

Having checked everything else, I am now convinced the fault is the sychro rings, if so it will have to come out again as towing the trailer is near impossible.

It has ATF in it. Its going in tomorrow so they can have a drive and for the MOT so I suppose I better wash some of the mud off it :o

It was sticky to change up too, but adjusting the bias fixed that. It has now started occasionaly crunching changing up to 3rd, but changing down to 3rd is virtually impossible above about 15mph.

Having checked everything else, I am now convinced the fault is the sychro rings, if so it will have to come out again as towing the trailer is near impossible.

Keep us posted on what the result is....

• 5 months later...

Well, I have been struggling with this useless gearbox for nearly a year now, It was fitted in June '08 and I reported the first gearchange difficulties the following week. I adjusted the bias springs and was told that "it needed to be run in"

It was supplied with bolts missing in the first place, has been a problem all the time I've had it, and now I'm told I will have to pay to have it removed, sent back to be repaired and refitted. This is more than a weeks wages for me so is a no go for starters. Apparently this is called a "warranty"

Starting to get angry now.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Well, I have been struggling with this useless gearbox for nearly a year now, It was fitted in June '08 and I reported the first gearchange difficulties the following week. I adjusted the bias springs and was told that "it needed to be run in"

It was supplied with bolts missing in the first place, has been a problem all the time I've had it, and now I'm told I will have to pay to have it removed, sent back to be repaired and refitted. This is more than a weeks wages for me so is a no go for starters. Apparently this is called a "warranty"

Starting to get angry now.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Have you spoken directly to Ashcrofts? I did with mine (i'd fitted it myself) and they couldn't have been more helpful to resolve the issue. My reverse gear plunger was faulty. There was no need to do anything with the 3rd gear problem i'd had - the change down into third has improved as the box was run in.