rear winch

DefcoL

Hi All,

Recently discovered my rear low level winch is in need of a deep hole or a very hot flame.

yeah I know explosive is more fun,but cant afford the trouble it would bring...

So have been looking to get another 12v for the rear.

As there are so many around I wondered what you might recommend.

My basic requirements are :

Reliability

wont take all day to winch up 45degree slope

value for money

reasonable sized motor....

oh even though I have a second 8274, it wont fit as its too tall. thereby it needs to be low level...........................

I also have a hydraulic for the front but nowhere near ready to start pluming yet so for now looking for a bargain.

TIA

Loz

TDS - will take all day but it will get you out, very impressed with ours in Holwin Wolf series pulls like anything you just learn to work around the low speed.

Hi all thanks for the advice re the TDs, I take it you mean the The TDS -9.5c /12.0c (Goldfish)

if so did you go for the 9.5 or the 12? and reasons why?

Re: space ; that's my fault for not building enough space to accommodate the 8274

here are some shots to show what I mean.

post-892-1227050944_thumb.jpg

post-892-1227050979_thumb.jpg

post-892-1227051004_thumb.jpg

post-892-1227051028_thumb.jpg

Ah, I see. It's the depth of the tray that won't let you put it in...

Just out of interest, Lawrence, why not modify the tray/mounting? Surely it will cost you less than £350 and you then have common winches front and rear so if one breaks...

Otherwise, the TDS - I bought one of the early 9.5s. Just keeps pulling and pulling. Bought it cos the 12 wasn't available when I was in the market. Someone will correct me, I'm sure, but I think the difference between the 9.5 and 12 is the gearing, so the 12 will be slower.

Ah, I see. It's the depth of the tray that won't let you put it in...

Just out of interest, Lawrence, why not modify the tray/mounting? Surely it will cost you less than £350 and you then have common winches front and rear so if one breaks...

Otherwise, the TDS - I bought one of the early 9.5s. Just keeps pulling and pulling. Bought it cos the 12 wasn't available when I was in the market. Someone will correct me, I'm sure, but I think the difference between the 9.5 and 12 is the gearing, so the 12 will be slower.

Hi A-O

the available space is 625 x 172 x 295. the 8274 really needs a min depth of around 240mm, to alter is more involved than it looks and would necessitate cutting into the original cross member.

That will then require getting the stainless box altered thereby altering box mounts. Long term I will be fitting hydraulic that will fit in existing space

So will sell the Warns. but mean while I have spares if the 8274 decides to take a vacation....

Someone will correct me, I'm sure, but I think the difference between the 9.5 and 12 is the gearing, so the 12 will be slower.

Absolutely correct, 254:1 for the 12, and 173:1 for the 9.5.

Unloaded feet per minute for the 9.5 is rated at 55.8, and the 12 at 29.3, at 6000lb pull, the 9.5 is 12fpm and the 12 is 7.9fpm.

Hope that gives some idea of what you want -I was lucky, I have the 9.5 with a 5.6HP Bowmotor, so should be greater than the above anyhow.

Just cut out the square cross member from behind the winch and replace with a bit of box in a more convenient spot. We must have moved that cross member 4 or 5 times on Steve's truck :D

tea and biscuits or ham sandwich and beer will be on offer Mark. when will you be round with your welder? B)

Throw in a gallon of scrump and i might come and help :wacko:

If I could find a gallon of it round here, I doubt if there would be any left by the time you arrived unless you bring your own.

Ah even then there wouldn't be any left on arriva :lol: :lol: l

we are running a 254 ratio one with a Bowmotor on the rear of Rogue Vogue

ratios and HP of motors change between the 9.5 and 12 versions.

Hi James,

Ordered the 9.5 Was advised to go for the slower one but then if really stuck will use a block.

Might have made a slight mistake but will live with it.

Many thanks for the info DB was very good to deal with and it arrived almost before i ordered.

Now It will be worth another visit.

so you have taken the plunge!! i am sure it will be fine - i suggest running less than 100ft of rope on it though to avoid bunching!

we went for the lower ratio one as most rear winch use seems to be small pulls at acute angles, dont seem to do much lowering out so thought that was our best bet. line speed didn't seem that much different to the 9.5 either when its all that slow anyway. for the money you cant really go wrong with either.

so you have taken the plunge!! i am sure it will be fine - i suggest running less than 100ft of rope on it though to avoid bunching!

we went for the lower ratio one as most rear winch use seems to be small pulls at acute angles, dont seem to do much lowering out so thought that was our best bet. line speed didn't seem that much different to the 9.5 either when its all that slow anyway. for the money you cant really go wrong with either.

Very much like the cone brake, saving the plasma burn.

It fits with a massive 7mm clearance and if it performs as reliable & speedy as his delivery; I'll be very happy