Boring out 300Tdi block

JimAttrill

Any engineers out there? I want to bore out a 300tdi from 90mm to 93mm. Is there enough meat on the block to allow this or should it be bored out further and liners fitted? Or just forget the whole idea?

Those of you who know this engine will guess what I am up to :)

Where are you going to find a 93mm drill bit for your Black&Decker powerdrill? Surely you'd be better off using a holesaw, although you'll still need a pretty meaty drill.

Seriously, I'm hoping that most of the magic in the TGV engine is in the variable turbo, so that's the direction I've gone. Can you do something clever with TGV crank + rods and 300Tdi pistons? I'd be cautious about turning your good 300Tdi block into an expensive coffee table. Which reminds me...

Where are you going to find a 93mm drill bit for your Black&Decker powerdrill? Surely you'd be better off using a holesaw, although you'll still need a pretty meaty drill.

Don't be silly John, you know that Jim would only use a single cut round file followed with a bit of emery wrapped round it to hone the bores once filed ;)

Mo

Seriously, I'm hoping that most of the magic in the TGV engine is in the variable turbo, so that's the direction I've gone. Can you do something clever with TGV crank + rods and 300Tdi pistons? I'd be cautious about turning your good 300Tdi block into an expensive coffee table. Which reminds me...

I resemble that remark :angry: I'll have you know my drill is an AEG :P

We have access to an overheated 300Tdi 90 (I was considering using my own at one time, but it is still going ok at 270k), and will have a go at that one. We can get the crank, rods and pistons for about £1k. And will wind up the fuelling and the boost, maybe fit the water injection with some methanol this time. A TGV turbo would be nice, but possibly expensive if we get bits from the UK.

I did once increase the cr of a 2-stroke Villiers engine with a person I'm not that keen on file, some glass and grinding paste .....

Nb I did not write 'person I'm not that keen on'. Let's say I used a coarse file :D

Jim

If it's the file I'm thinking of why is it swearing. It's the correct name. A file of dubious parentage. We have them at work in the tool boxes. Strange to think how it came about it's name though

If you google it, the concensus seems to be that it is a file intermediate between a coarse and a second-cut. According to my Collins dictionary, the word that I will not mention can also mean a hybrid which I reckon is the meaning here.

It always got a laugh in our technical training classes until we separated the two meanings, and of course it is still denigatory, but not as bad as it used to be when it was often used literally.

I have a great-niece and nephew-in-law (of different single parents) who would both qualify, I suppose, but the word doesn't cross my mind really. I think we mostly use it in the meaning of "an obnoxious or difficult person" or to describe a job that is very difficult.

• 6 months later...

Dragging this one up from the past.....

Did you end up doing it Jim ?

I've just been contemplating the same thing.

Did a big end (it's been on its way for a while looking back over the oils tests from the last few years.

It appears the bottom shell had been dropped before fitting putting the shell out of round. There are some lovely flats on the back of the shell and stress fractures all through it) so have been thinking of building another short motor after slapping this one back together when new bearings turn up.