Forum Peaks trip - the aftermath

Pete Attryde

i see from the pic's that you guys have posted up that you decided to turn around and not try to go up chapelgate then. :)

as for the rest of the lanes you did theres some good pics and i can honestly say theres only 2 lanes out of the whole of the peak district i ain't done and thats because they are shut. :(

if anyone else is off up into the peaks then give me a shout as im only 30 minutes away from houndkirk moor. ;)

Sorry to dampen what sounded like a great weekend but stanage has a volentary closure, as far as I'm aware this is still standing.

http://www.peakdistrict.org/index/looking-...cles-routes.htm

Did get to do chapel gate at 10 at night just after it got made into a true BOAT have to say that lane is even better in the dark.

When I spoke to the RoW team at 3pm on the Friday before the trip, they reckoned there was no TRO on Long Causeway (Stanage) after some damage to the causeway was repaired back in June. The "voluntary" TRO remains in force and encourages vehicles to head downhill to reduce damage and prevent the problem of vehicles meeting halfway.

Sorry to dampen what sounded like a great weekend but stanage has a volentary closure, as far as I'm aware this is still standing.

http://www.peakdistrict.org/index/looking-...cles-routes.htm

I'm just a tad disappointed that someone who is local is prepared to go negative in public, and imply criticism, without checking.

The page you reference was also referenced during the trip preparation, and you can see my response in the post on this page http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...0&start=160

I'm no local Green Lane expert, but even I thought the web site was incorrect. My non-expert status was another reason for checking, as these things can change 'overnight'. In fact the Edge has been open for several months. As one of the most popular spots in Derbyshire the authorities have a vested interest in keeping it open, which is why the repair in June / July was done in double quick time (compared to the normal speed of work on Green Lanes).

Note that the communication channel I used wasn't insider knowledge, it was the phone number on that page you link to.

Cheers.

To further re-iterate that fact that we did do our homework, I also spoke to the NPA and the County Council a few days before we left. I was advised that while the information on the site was current it is badly worded and gives the wrong message is read wrongly. The phrase "We thank vehicle user groups for organising and respecting the voluntary closure of this route" Is supposed to convey the message 'Thanks for having organised and observed the voluntary closure'. I asked about a voluntary one way agreement and, while the guy I spoke to was not apparently aware of such an agreement, he did advise using the route downhill only so as to prevent damage to the surface of the lane and to vehicles.

I hope this helps clear up your concerns.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I apologise for any mis understanding and as a local laner I'm well impressed by your attitude towards our lanes. It's better than most of the laners in this area. I've given up leaning because of the flack I receive form local people and some of the really ignorant off roaders I have met. I knew they were doing the repairs but I've never seen the local authority's get on so quick.