defender 90 not starting.....help!!!!

Could be a bad earth on your starter motor, the motor could only be getting enough power to click the solenoid in. Try putting a jump lead from the earth terminal of the starter motor onto the the negative terminal of the battery, try and start it, if it does then a bad earth is the problem. Take the earth lead off the starter motor and chassis, clean up both areas and re-attach.

Hope you sort it out.

Tom

ok so heres the update tried a jump lead from the negative terminal of the battery to the starter no different. so jumped it off the car but it seem like the battery was so low it was really pulling on the car i was jumping it with. so i'm going to give the battery a good overnight charge and see how it goes. just to add insult to injury i powered up the lights and one of the wires feeding the main light switch melted so i'm going to order a new set of wipac lights....... why would any one buy a landy. thr trouble is i need it running as soon as pos because it's my everyday car and i may have a job interview with the environment agency coming up!!!!!!! help!!!!

are the main earth leads & connections to chassis/engine/battery in good order,

battery to gearbox earthlead [at joint of transfer/main gearbox]

engine earthlead from alternator/power steering pump mounting bracket to left chassis part of engine mounting.

finaly finnished wiring my landy up last night. the lights powered up, the horn works and the wipers work. turned the key and click click nothing. so i jumped it off my car thinking the battery had gone dead but still nothing.

any ideas or help would be good.

if a battery is totally nackered then sometimes even attaching jump leads is not enough. especially when it's cold. i would try and get another battery and just try it. this happened to me last winter and it went fine with a new battery. quick and easy to try. cheers

if a battery is totally nackered then sometimes even attaching jump leads is not enough. especially when it's cold. i would try and get another battery and just try it. this happened to me last winter and it went fine with a new battery. quick and easy to try. cheers

another update. got the blasted thing running. it turned out to be the relay in the fuse box....... i started off by double checkeing the volyage at the ignition barrel (which was ok) the by checking the power at the solenoid feed (which read 0.5v) i then checked th voltage at the relay ( good voltage coming from the battery and good power going to the relay but again only 0.5 volts comimg out) so i then put a continuity meter across the terminlas and the put 12volts the relay and found there was poor connection in the relay. i never bothered checking the raly in the first place because it was clicking in and out ok and i assumed it was ok. Then i turned the ignition key one position shorted the main feed over the solenoid feed and hay presto we're firing on all four cylinders......... now all i need to do is find the reverse feed, double check the fog light and find the earthe fault in the lighting circuit and we're road legal again......... oh if anyone knows which wire feed the revers light ik would appreciate teh help. i know its a green wire thats linked to the brake light feed but i just don't know where the wire is. Thaks for the help poeple. once again thanks for the help. i'm sure i'll be back on agin asking for more.........

Hi Mate,

I think I can answer your problem as exactly the same has just happened to mewith my 2.5td 90, sluggish turning of starter motor eventually dying before the engine fired but with a brand new battery, recon alternator etc etc.

Basically decided to get shot of the starter motor and replace it. local garage did the work and on removing the old starter which turned out to be a prestolite (Rubbish) and on a test bed was drawing nearly 20v just to turn the thing with no load hence it was draining the battery down in seconds.

New Valeo starter fitted, at the turn of the key now the motor spins into life and sounds more like a japanese motor!!

I bet if you change your starter motor your problems will be over.

Cheers