Will Defender pull small tractor on trailer?

Depends on the trailer capacity, some 4 wheelers are only 2 tonne which might be a bit inadequate, I have a 3.5 tonne Ifor Williams four wheeler that would carry it no bother and Defender can pull it easily

I had a big yellow van on the trailer which was supposed to be 2.3 tons with equiptment in it and it towed Ok but I think it wasn't far off the limit for the high profile tyres. They weren't getting warm but I kept down to 50 mph with the V8 and it only cost me 146 quid to do 500 miles. Which wasn't bad considering the fact that I enjoyed every mile (burble burble burble) :lol:

:lol:

If you had clicked the link in my post you would have got the answer....

Basic 4WD tractor is 1500KG, add ca. 400 KG for a loader and its still only around 2 tonnes. About the same as a 90 which can be happily pulled by another 90.....

Done that :P

And 1500kg plus front loader and backhoe will I think be about 2.5 tons but no matter now as I think the seller has made a mistake on the price.

It's up for 1700 quid on a classified add on eblag so I sent an email offering to buy it at 1700 quid. Now I should be the owner but I think the seller is wanting offers and put it in the wrong section as it is worth double the asking price.

I wait patiently for a reply :rolleyes:

A few days ago I had a forklift, weighing about 3.5 ton, on a 2-axle flatbed towed by a 110 Puma. The trailer was strained a bit, but the landie had no problems at all.

I towed a 3 ton skid steer on my Ifor Williams with the Range DT and it was a smooth ride, just lacking a bit of power uphill. The right trailer is the most important factor, my Ifor cartrailer is superb, but unfortunately I needed a flatbed to cope with the twin tyre set-up of the forklift.

A few days ago I had a forklift, weighing about 3.5 ton, on a 2-axle flatbed towed by a 110 Puma. The trailer was strained a bit, but the landie had no problems at all.

I towed a 3 ton skid steer on my Ifor Williams with the Range DT and it was a smooth ride, just lacking a bit of power uphill. The right trailer is the most important factor, my Ifor cartrailer is superb, but unfortunately I needed a flatbed to cope with the twin tyre set-up of the forklift.

I think tyres are the problem with mine, the Ifor uses low profiles which are better suited to weight, mine are old caravan wheels which did manage a 250 mile trip with 2.3 tons on board but I was worried about them as I put 60 psi in to help cope with the weight.

The land rover however, laughed all the way home and was pulling like a train on a light throttle, just a squeeze on the juice and she powered up the hills having only twice to drop out of fifth for brief periods. Spend a lot of time easing back to keep the speed down as the V8 was wanting to go all the time, brilliant :lol:

I think tyres are the problem with mine, the Ifor uses low profiles which are better suited to weight, mine are old caravan wheels which did manage a 250 mile trip with 2.3 tons on board but I was worried about them as I put 60 psi in to help cope with the weight.

The land rover however, laughed all the way home and was pulling like a train on a light throttle, just a squeeze on the juice and she powered up the hills having only twice to drop out of fifth for brief periods. Spend a lot of time easing back to keep the speed down as the V8 was wanting to go all the time, brilliant :lol:

I agree, to go easy on the tyres of the flatbed, I also kept the speed down. It was only a 50km drive, so not too much time lost avoiding the highways.

Shame I didn't get to take my V8, she refused to start that morning, so I was lucky to be able to borrow the 110. And I must admit, the 6-speed was great for towing, allthough I still prefer the TD5 to the Tdci.

Don't forget that a large flatbed trailer could weigh up to and over 750KG, which means you may only have a legal payload of 2750KG...

I pulled a 16' tripple axle Ifor Williams quite a lot with my old 110 300Tdi, one trip was to collect a couple of pallets of MDF from a timber distributors... it felt really heavy and I struggled a bit under breaking and with hill starts...

When we got back to our works we worked out how much weight we'd been pulling...

Gross trailer weight was just short of 6 tonnes.....