lucas switch (lights)

dirkthe1

ive got an ex military '86 90 which was semi converted when it left the army, then someones else then me. its been sorn'd for a while, and now im trying to fix her. slightly random question, but does anyone have any experience of removing the lucas switch then lights are on and either moving the lights on to the stalk or moving them on to a switch on the dash. originally i did think about refitting the convoy lights, etc, but when the company bought it they ripped all the wiring out for it, so its a large and unpractical switch taking up space in my dash!

also, the red and black female adapters on the plate-are they a 12v aux power supply? ive got the wiring diagram somewhere, so thats not an issue, just wondered if anyone had an experience, and thought id post this here, rather than the defender forum

cheers

geoff

also, the red and black female adapters on the plate-are they a 12v aux power supply?

Yep, they are, not sure what they are rated at, ubt being quite small pins from memory I wouldn't try anything much more than about 15A through them.

On my 1986 110 the wires for the light switch was already there and waiting. Just plugged the switch to the connector and there was light, at least dip and high beam. For the side and rear lights, two red wires behind the military switch had to be connected together. Then there is a thick brown behind the mil switch that needs to be linked to a brown/yellow (I think...). Done!

Guest diesel_jim

^^^^ What Lars said.... should be plug & play.

re: those aux power sockets.... be careful as they're hard wired... no fuses!! :(:( good design, especially when the vehicles are meant to be left in the capable hands of all manner of military folk who might be bored with nothing more than a box of grenades and a paper clip.

lol-its ok, il prob tie them off anyway/use it as a power supply for stereo-as its fuses anyway!

random question, but when i try and veiw a topic, it now shows the reponses in lists rahter then showing the actual responses-wtf is going on and how do i fix it!

they would have trusted me with all manner of things, but more worryingly, now they trust me to use high powered chainsaws whilst up a tree :blink: !

Guest diesel_jim
random question, but when i try and veiw a topic, it now shows the reponses in lists rahter then showing the actual responses-wtf is going on and how do i fix it!

Go to the top of this (or any) page, you'll see "options", click that, then scroll down to "standard view"

On my 1986 110 the wires for the light switch was already there and waiting. Just plugged the switch to the connector and there was light, at least dip and high beam. For the side and rear lights, two red wires behind the military switch had to be connected together. Then there is a thick brown behind the mil switch that needs to be linked to a brown/yellow (I think...). Done!

IIRC there is both halves of 2 pin connector behind the mill fuse box, when connected together will combine the sidelight (redorange/redblack) circuits (front and rear) to give normal function back.

You can then use the brown/red/blue smaller plug behind the centre console with a standard 90/110 light switch. :rolleyes:

brown perm feed (not fused)

red side lights?

blue headlights.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

well, i took off the switch, and after consulting the wiring diagram, it just about makes sense-although 1 question. the letters on the diagram relate to colours-but what does each letter mean colour wise.

any suggestions. dont want to geuss you see