Clunk from rear

I get a solid "thunk" from the rear end anytime I shift gears unless I reeeeeeally baby the clutch. I looked under the rear, everything looks solid enough. I figure I just need new bushings in the rear links. Is this common? I hope it's not coming from the diff.

I did all of the above. The biggest part of the clunk was coming from the drive flange.

On level ground, wheels chocked, jack up a rear wheel, handbrake off.

Prise off the plastic hub cap gently, too much effort can distort them or split them.

Rotate the wheel back and forth. You will probably be able to see your clunk! :)

There will probably be visible movement between the flange and drive shaft splines. If you do.... Carry on reading.

The thread below shows how to change the drive flange gasket, but also serves to show how to change the drive flange too.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=33908

With the drive shaft out, remove the circlip retaining the drive flange, replace the flange (and any spacers) and re-fit the circlip. Clean up the hub surface, fit new gasket and re-assemble. It may pay to get a new plastic hub cap for each side to ensure they seal again.

If it's not the drive flanges, then it's under the truck for you for more investigation.

Neil

• 5 weeks later...
Guys,

What the heck is this "a-frame bushing"? Could somebody please post a picture?

I have the same "clunk problem". How can I check if the a-frame bushings are to blame?

Thanks,

/Jaroslav

on the rear axle diff case is a large ball joint & at the chassis end of each A frame arm is a bushed attachment, you'll need a jemmybar or long lever to find any excessive movement.

I had this and replaced all my bushes including the aframe, new rear diff and shafts and in the end it was my input gear spline interface that was causing it (I was changing all of that anyway)

Does it do it when you push the clutch in when doing some engine braking (like when you are coming to a stop) or if you suddenly lift off the throttle?

You can check this by taking off the PTO cover plate on the transfer box and jacking up a rear wheel and turn it back and fourth and you should see the end of the gear in the transferbox move slightly independant from the shaft it is sitting on

The fact you have to really feed in the clutch every gearchange makes me think it is this, especially as you have an old lt77 box (I just changed mine out because of this)

• 2 weeks later...
Does it do it when you push the clutch in when doing some engine braking (like when you are coming to a stop) or if you suddenly lift off the throttle?

The fact you have to really feed in the clutch every gearchange makes me think it is this, especially as you have an old lt77 box (I just changed mine out because of this)

Yes. It makes a clunk whenever engine's speed doesn't match that of the wheels: if I'm not reeeaaaly careful in releasing the clutch or when I drop the gas pedal so that the vehicle "runs" into the engine. It feels like there is a lot of slack somewhere in transmission, but the clunk is definitely coming from somewhere in the back.

When I was replacing the U-joint in the drive shaft - the one that is attached to the parking break side, I do remember trying to see if the drive shafts wobbles. I think it was rock solid, but I'll the do the PTO check anyway.

BTW, would the clunk be present if I merely depressed the clutch (to let the transmission rotate freely) and depressed the brakes pedal? I would assume that a clunk due to worn a-frame bushings would be present (but it doesn't happen on my truck).

/Jaroslav