speedo

hi there..

i'v just finshed fitting a disovery transfer box in my defender,

what a different it has hade.. much more nippyer.

anyway

as there is a differnt ratio and the speedo is calibrated to 1.410 ratio and i ahgve put 1.222 ratio.. i need to get the speedo re-calibrated?

cheers

no need it takes the feed off the output shaft, your shaft is spinning quicker per RPM per gear so speedo reads higher.

edited to add: is it not slower accelerating but faster top end, or do you hold the gears longer so accelerating is (or seems to be) quicker?

no need it takes the feed off the output shaft, your shaft is spinning quicker per RPM per gear so speedo reads higher.

edited to add: is it not slower accelerating but faster top end, or do you hold the gears longer so accelerating is (or seems to be) quicker?

oh right. so i dont really need to touch the speedo then? cheers

well i have a uprated intercooler and tweaked fuel pump but all the gear pull fine apart from 5th seems to take a little longer, not sure the affects on standerd engine, it is if not quicker then the 1.410 box becuase it holds in gear longer and your not spending half your time changing gear.

yeah its a better top end, so it not reving the nuts off it at 70 and now it cruses which i great (hills and head winds should be interssting)..

have just put a disco transfer box out of a 300 auto into a c rag 90 and the speedo does not fit, do i thatke off the brake drum. and the out put shaf and swap over for the 1 on the lt77 set up?

arent they both LT230s, i believe they are so speedo should fit unless the disco had a different female connector on the gear and you need to change it for a defender gear.

have just put a disco transfer box out of a 300 auto into a c rag 90 and the speedo does not fit, do i thatke off the brake drum. and the out put shaf and swap over for the 1 on the lt77 set up?

is it a v8 engine?

v8's have a santana gear box which is differnt to lt77 and r380 as far as i know,

if you take the hand break drum off, and thewre is 4x 15mm bolts.. undo them and take the pin out if the hand break mechinisam,

where the speedo plugs in, that unit will come out with a little screwdriver leavering..

its saves changing the hole rear out put shaft unit..

here are some picture (go down the bottom few pictures to see about speedo drive)

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=14601

speedo calibration is done by the speedo cable drive gear in the transfer box, just swap the Discovery one for your vehicles original, which will be more suitable for the tyre sizes of 7.50x16,235/85x16 & 255/85x16.

oh great thanks, cheers

speedo calibration is done by the speedo cable drive gear in the transfer box, just swap the Discovery one for your vehicles original, which will be more suitable for the tyre sizes of 7.50x16,235/85x16 & 255/85x16.

Should take all of 7 mins with a coffee break.

Follow wire to transferbox, undo bolt, remove gear, replace with new.

Have coffee

Refitting is the reversal of removal.

Stand back and feel chuffed. :lol:

if it's on 7.50 or bigger tyres, the drive gear needs to be blue & 20 teeth.

more info here

Does anyone know which tranducer will give the most accurate reading for 33" tires (255/85) with the 1.2 tcase on an electronic td5 speedo? My gearbox is an lt77.

the blue 20tooth one

its designed for the 7.50/235/53 tyres but over reads and when fitted with 255/85s you get a bang on reading (well mine is with that setup (1.4 case which makes no odds) against GPS)

the blue 20tooth one

its designed for the 7.50/235/53 tyres but over reads and when fitted with 255/85s

Speedo's are supposed to overread. What's the problem?

Better to think your driving at 70, but actually 66, rather than

Does anyone know which tranducer will give the most accurate reading for 33" tires (255/85) with the 1.2 tcase on an electronic td5 speedo? My gearbox is an lt77.

the blue 20 tooth gear does all the sizes I've detailed above. my own 110 runs a R380/LT230 1.41 transfer box on 255/85 tyres & my Td5 type speedo is bang on.

Speedo's are supposed to overread. What's the problem?

Better to think your driving at 70, but actually 66, rather than

never said there was a problem, i was explaining what would work with his set up of 33" tyres with which pinion and why it would work in my experience.