P38 sat on its stops

jules

My P38 has been getting slower and slower to wake up and now its reporting a fault and sat on its stops is was playing up after damp weather so I'm assuming its down to a damp sensor.

I know its very common problem but where do I need to look for the sensor or control unit for the Air suspension..

My P38 has been getting slower and slower to wake up and now its reporting a fault and sat on its stops is was playing up after damp weather so I'm assuming its down to a damp sensor.

I know its very common problem but where do I need to look for the sensor or control unit for the Air suspension..

Not sure what you mean by "wake up" - if you mean adjusting it's ride height then you're probably looking at a new compressor or you have a leak somewhere. A faulty height sensor might cause an error but won't normally stop it coming up to height or thereabouts. Often the sensor problems can be cleared simply by putting the EAS into manual and raising it to maximum, dropping it to access and cycling it like that a few times.

The compressor and all the valves that control the EAS are located on the front nearside wing (LH) in a plastic box. If you get a leak or the compressor can't get the system up to pressure, compressor will, eventually, be turned off.

Other than the compressor, another very common problem, particularly on diesels, is a holed exhaust silencer - the hot gas leaking out melts the pipes running across the vehicle just in front of the rear axle.

Best bet is to find a good independent who can plug a diagnostic computer into it.

Pretty much the same as already said, just worded differently, with perhaps a different emphasis.

'Slow leaks' can be perished air bellows, and in my view it's the most likely cause, assuming no-one has been 'working' on the system for any reason, when anything could be wrong.

The 'on it's stops' is the compressor being worn out, after dealing with the leaks.

You could 'just' rebuild the compressor (Piston and Cylinder), but this will barely last 6 months until it's also worn out.

If it is the bellows, they need replacement.

Obviously try Ebay UK, cheapest option is just the rubbers.

The real source of goods and expertise is probably still Rover Renovations in the USA. Especially so if you want to 'upgrade' to Arnott springs, higher ride heights, etc. There is no need, but the options are there if you want to spend the money. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with rebuilding it to standard specification if your style of use is normal tarmac and the occasional green lane roads.

Good Luck.

I have only had it a few months and its got new air bags so it would probibly mean the compressor is warn out (my D2 did the same thing).

The middle box has a blow so thats the first point to look at and I'm taking it round to Moglite's to plug it in on Sat.

(Wake up) it takes a while to adjust up from park mode to normal driving hight.

I would assume it no harder to change the compressor on a P38 than it is on a D2.

Thanks for all the help guy's

Easier, a bit fiddly to get to the hose connection, but doable.

I got a compressor from Paddocks, been working fine for over 18 months.

I had the same when I bought mine.

Bags shot to pieces, compressor running a lot.

Once the bags were changed the compressor only lasted another few weeks.

I have only had it a few months and its got new air bags SNIP

In that case the slow leaks may be where the pipes enter the bags.

When you have it up to pressure, and with the engine off, push each pipe in turn, sideways and forwards / backwards, where they enter the bags.

You are listening for a hiss. There are two O rings on each joint, and sometimes people only push the pipe through one of them.

Good Luck.