Whats the best winch rope for chalinge events

90treelad

12mm on a twin or you'll be buying it again shortly afterward I assure you.

buy once buy it right.

Chose to go with 12ml bow rope because before i changed to a twin i had never snapped my 11ml bow rope. David Bow attends most of the events that i go to and if there's ever a problem he will always help you out

I have a "Interestingly powerfull" Hydro setup, Andy talked me out of 14mm and inro 12mm, and he was right

Plasma 12 is the best of the non wire ropes IMHO.

Wire is more able to take grief - ie if you drag it in and over ground rocks etc, BUT

PITA to use, and shards of wire will go through you gloves and get you

Think of Plasma rope as a "Serviceable Item" and you'll be fine, wire rope can eqaully

and often is kinked /scrapped 1st time out, so whilst cheaper can maybe hit the bin quicker ?

HTH

Nige

Chose to go with 12ml bow rope because before i changed to a twin i had never snapped my 11ml bow rope. David Bow attends most of the events that i go to and if there's ever a problem he will always help you out

Good call!

the 12mm is what I'll only buy from now

i have to agree we treat our ropes as a service item and wash them, inspect them and bin them if they are knackered.we also turn them on the drum.it does not matter what size of synthetic rope you use it can be snapped very easily.we cut thru 2 plasmas at the baskerville on rocks / debris in the ground on sun at the baskerville event.

we have a twin 8274 splitpin winch and plasma 11mm all round and you can almost stall the winch without it breaking as the videos from the event will show.

Fair enough

I had 11mm on the front single XP motored winch and snapped it 2 or three times at a JST event

no debris on the ground a pull at a slight angle(not a long pull) just 20ft or so

motor slowed slowed and snap went the rope.

since fitting a twin from Jim I thought 12mm was the order of the day and very pleased I did.

Fair enough

I had 11mm on the front single XP motored winch and snapped it 2 or three times at a JST event

no debris on the ground a pull at a slight angle(not a long pull) just 20ft or so

motor slowed slowed and snap went the rope.

since fitting a twin from Jim I thought 12mm was the order of the day and very pleased I did.

The only time I've snapped 11mm Plasma 12 like that was 100% down to a worn aluminium fairlead, it allowed the line to make contact with the edge of the hole in the winch mount, a slight uphill angle and it cut through it as soon as it was under tension. I thought I was saving myself some cash by turning the worn fairlead upside down and it cost me a rope instead...

Of course there are synthetic ropes and then there are synthetic ropes... if it's not Plasma 12 then, IMV, you're using an inferior product so should expect a few breakages :)

I've also changed to stainless fairleads and have checked and double checked that, regardless of spool position or angle of pull, the rope can't make contact with anything it shouldn't.

Try and keep the rope under tension as it's being wound on, if it's loosely wound then used under load, the top layer will cut down through. Also heard some folk recommend wind it on at a 30degree angle so it's criss-crossed but not sure if this is correct?

I think having a shallower, wider drum with less layers would be less prone to this than a narrow, deep drum.

Our front 8274 has a 50mm diameter drum, and is 75mm wider than standard. The stainless steel fairlead is setup so that it is 30mm narrower than the drum. we spool on under load but try to criss-cross the rope as it goes on (having a winchman built like a brick khazi helps!) This still does not stop the rope from jamming itself into the lower layers, especially after the first pull of the day.

The rear 8274 has a standard drum, but is set right behind the rear bulkhead, with the fairlead in the rear cross member. Having it set this far apart makes the rope spool on loverly. And we don't seem to have problems with the rope cutting through the lower layers.

We also use 11mm Plasma from Andy-T, and have not snapped one this year after 6 challenges. Of course, the ropes are washed after every event and then checked for damage. Only had to splice a damaged section once this year, after a recovery over a barbed wire fence!