Flat tyre overnight

tpk241

Hi,

I haven't been using my discovery fitted with 33"x12.50x15 BFG muds. On saturday night /sunday morning we had a hard frost.

when going out to check the truck it had a completely flat tyre .. Can the cold do this ? expanding / contracting air in cold ? Worsening a split of slow puncture etc ?

Thanks in advance

Stu

Hi,

I haven't been using my discovery fitted with 33"x12.50x15 BFG muds. On saturday night /sunday morning we had a hard frost.

when going out to check the truck it had a completely flat tyre .. Can the cold do this ? expanding / contracting air in cold ? Worsening a split of slow puncture etc ?

Thanks in advance

Stu

Dont think it would be the cold, most likely a leaky bead.. if you offroad with the truck.

The cold can expanding / contracting air in a tyre but not too much, defiantly not with the temp ranges you find in this country

I thought it was cold related as it had been sat there fine for a while .. only on this paticular night had it gone flat ..

The car is privately parked so wouldn't have been tampered with.

Any other ideas relating to the cold ?

Thanks

Stu

Only heat can expand the air in the tyre and that will increase the tyre pressure by a few psi.

Cold will condence the air but again by a few psi.

I suggest you have a punture and therefore unless you can see what the cause is, you will need to 'soap' the whole tyre and look for the air bubbles.

But check the valve for escaping air first.

• 3 weeks later...

take the wheel off and check the rim on both sides,

even the smallest bend in the rim of a tubeless tyre can let air out

mine did that and it went for a week after i did it before going down, then all of a sudden it went flat overnight

a BIG hammer can sort this, and you could use permanent tyre gunk just to be safe

mikey

more than likely dirt in the bead mine did the same the other night was damp mud in the bead when it froze just opened it up enough let the air out

popped mine off with the hi-lift, using the vehical weight to pop the bead off, then cleaned up around the rim, fairy liquid all around an out with the foot pump to get you too a garage to put enough air in make sure its seated well, job done.

make sure you take the valve out this lets all the air out before and helps you pump it up later

apparently very common on BF's when its been off roaded

dave

my disco has done this, gone down overnight. Its running freestyles with mud terrains, had no punture, the surface on the rim wasnt corroded, but used bead sealant and its still holding air after 3months. I can confirm that it is mud that causes it though, and it doesnt have to be just after a mud run. i cleaned my car a few times since the previous off roading sesh, and it was only from washing it the day before that the tyre went down. Maybe i was a bit too aggressive with the pressure washer?

Had this happen on a different vehicle, was belived to of been caused by water along the bead freezing and breaking the seal! If in doubt take it to a tyre fitter and get them to put some bead seal on as this sould fill any small imperfections.