What have I got?

Speeedy6

Please help me understand what I have here.My new L.R. seems to have two different grills on it.And, I think it may have been an ex military machine because of the pintle hook and ball on the front bumper.It's a 1967 SIIa 110 diesel.S# 345-00287-D.I thought I had a site to track the serial # but, I can't find it.I have a few M.O.T. certificates from 1999,2000 and 2001.It seems it was shipped over here about 2002.I'm very curious about it's history and,I would like to know which grill is accurate.

Thank you for your help, Mark

post-12703-1228925457_thumb.jpgpost-12703-1228925418_thumb.jpgpost-12703-1228924978_thumb.jpg

for a 1967 it would have had the headlamps in the centre rather than the wings. Bulkhead looks right for 1967 era, bonnet hinges and windscreen mounts. Bonnet looks SIII though.

That looks like a nato hitch on the right of the bumper but i'm sure somone can point out what it really is :)

As far as I know military would not have used a ball tow bar.

In 1967 it would be a Series 2a which is a 109 not a 110. The lights would have been in the grille not in the wings, so it looks like the wings have been added later.

The Nato Hitch has probably been added later

Your Vin is:

345=

Model: Land Rover, Series IIA

Body type: Basic

Wheel base: 109in

Engine: 6-cylinder

Model years: 1966-1971

Destination: Home market, right-hand drive (RHD)

00287 = Serial number

D = Design: Three significant design modifications. Suffix used from April 1967 till March 1968

So looks like it was a 6 cyl Petrol

I would say it was never military being as it was a six pot originally and the spring mounts are standard type not the 1 ton type that the military used. They did have some civvy(almost) spec vehicles that were only used in the back ground and they would have been 4 pot originally. The wings are late 2a or 3 that have been added along with the front panel being butchered. The correct grill is the T type.

I can't remember if it's gaydon or dunsfold who will do a full history check for you, but that would certainly settle it. If the VIN number decodes as being a 6cyl and it doesn't have the extended spring hangers etc. then it's less likely to be genuine MOD, although sometimes they did buy other models for special purposes.

Military vehicles had a bolt-on gearbox crossmember as well. Looks like someone hacked the front panel about for those huge slots - I wonder why. I don't think that the military fitted a NATO hook on the front at all - the military bumber was reinforced and had a recess/towing pin arrangement in the centre.

Could be that someone fitted S3 wings on it at a later date. The Motor Heritage Centre at Gaydon will supply you with a certificate stating the date of manufacture and the spec of the vehicle when it left the factory. It was £28 a few years ago. The certificate is recognised by all official bodies, such as DVLA etc.

Les.