Quick and easy rear window defroster fix

I got to thinking, why does there need to be a VSR for the rear defroster? There isn't one for anything else on the truck. Mine is bad, I decided to yank it out. Here's how to do it for those who aren't electrically inclined. Before you try this to fix your defroster you should make sure that the fuse isn't blown. If the fuse is good and you get a defroster light on the cluster with the switch on and your defroster doesn't work this could be the fix for you.

-Pull the cluster out.

-Lift the VSR and plug off of its perch on the firewall.

-Cut all of the wires at the base of the plug.

-Splice the 1 black wire and the 2 black/slate wires together.

-Pop the hood and look for a single brown/black wire plugged into a 3 pin connector. The 3 wires are brown, black, and green. The brown/black wire will be lined up with the brown wire on the 3 pin connector.

-Unplug the brown/black wire and zip-tie it out of the way.

-Turn on the rear defroster while your hand is on the relay next to where the VSR used to be. Feel for the click. If it clicks...you're done. If no click you've got other issues.

the vsr is in the circuit to prevent it being used when the engine is off & alternator is not charging, as the heater draws a fair current & disabling it & having the rear screen heater on without the engine running/alt. charging will drag your battery down fairly quickly.

Guest diesel_jim

IIRC it was fitted to vehicles with a 45a alternator (my original 200Tdi had this), but looking through EPC (As i had then), vehicles with the 65a "heavy duty" :lol: ) alternator didn't have them.

I would sometimes find if the engine was at tickover, with the lights/heater/stereo etc on, the HRW would turn off.

when i upgraded alternator, i just made a little loop of wire with a male spade terminal on each end, removed the relay and plugged the wire into the two positions where the relay contacts would go.

the vsr is in the circuit to prevent it being used when the engine is off & alternator is not charging, as the heater draws a fair current & disabling it & having the rear screen heater on without the engine running/alt. charging will drag your battery down fairly quickly.

Leaving your lights on will do the same thing. The solution would be don't leave your RHW on with the engine off and the key on. There's even a bright amber warning light on the cluster. If you leave the key on with the engine off and that light telling you the defroster is on long enough to kill the battery you deserve to have to jump start your truck because you are an idiot. This is how I fixed mine without paying for a needless voltage switch.

IIRC it was fitted to vehicles with a 45a alternator (my original 200Tdi had this), but looking through EPC (As i had then), vehicles with the 65a "heavy duty" :lol: ) alternator didn't have them.

I would sometimes find if the engine was at tickover, with the lights/heater/stereo etc on, the HRW would turn off.

when i upgraded alternator, i just made a little loop of wire with a male spade terminal on each end, removed the relay and plugged the wire into the two positions where the relay contacts would go.

Definately an easier slution. Accomplishes the same thing. I found it handy to remove the VSR plug altogether because it gave me a place to mount the headlight relay. I also find it annoying to leave beind useless plugs and bits of wiring, but that's my problem. This is probably a better quick and easy fix than mine.

• 2 months later...

If the light on the cluster doesn't come on could it still be just the VSR thats gone. Funny thing is that when I put the multimeter across the connectors on the window it shows a very low voltage but no light comes on on the instrument cluster.