Gresh

headhunter

.......... if there had been evidence to support his defence would it not have been presented when given the opportunity to do so ?

If this would be the only reason for an appeal then the possibility itself would have disappeared long time ago. There are other reasons as well.

I was asking because I'm not familiar with the UK justice system and only from a technical p.o.v.

As someone reasonably new to all this LR/off-roading malarkey, tales like this remind me that I'm not a mechanic/welding-god, and I had really better realise when it's best to consult/hand-over to the experts in some areas rather than just posting on a forum and "having a go" on advice received. I guess what I'm re-affirming is that there's a world of difference between fitting a component, and fitting it safely/properly, and the above puts this thought clearly to the front of my mind next time I'm tinkering.

"A man's got to know his limitations" and all that.

On a similar note, while it passed an MOT about 3 weeks ago, 2 weeks ago I got home from a pay&play day and noticed that my steering damper had been ripped off. A reminder to not only keep maintenance up on the vehicles, but to check them before leaving the site to ensure nothing critical has been damaged. I'd like to think I'd have noticed if critical steering/brake damage etc had happened before I left the site...

Probably something that everyone else bar me already does, but complacency can affect us all at times. This tragic tale serves as a reminder to us all I think.

edit: would just like to point out, the above comments are on what this means to me, and not any comment or viewpoint on Mr Gresham' situation.

Whatever the real cause of this tragedy,

May our thoughts go with Mr Gresham, his family and all who were affected by this event.

May God only judge him and may we all learn from his terrible loss.

Lara,

Signing out of this thread.