Views on plasma cutters

jjojjas

hi all,

I'm hopefully moving house soon to a place with a nice big double garage (not high enough for the landy though :( ) and as you would expect I intend to fill it with toys. I have most "tools" as such but I'm toying with the idea of getting a plasma cutter. The prices have dropped recently on them and I was just wondering what the "home/hobby" use ones were like? How think a plate will they cut? what sort of quality is the cut? will I need to dress up the edges? also, do they distort the metel with heat when you have made a cut?

Any advice welcome.

Jas

hi all,

I'm hopefully moving house soon to a place with a nice big double garage (not high enough for the landy though :( ) and as you would expect I intend to fill it with toys. I have most "tools" as such but I'm toying with the idea of getting a plasma cutter. The prices have dropped recently on them and I was just wondering what the "home/hobby" use ones were like? How think a plate will they cut? what sort of quality is the cut? will I need to dress up the edges? also, do they distort the metel with heat when you have made a cut?

Any advice welcome.

Jas

Ebay seems to be flooded with cheap red Chinese ones. Some of these seem to require a DC input so if you decide to get one be careful. They're being sold by a firm in Hull, but reading their feedback and the fact they don't seem keen on visitors gives me an uneasy feeling.

Some comments about Chinese plasma cutters on a welding Yahoo group I visit suggest that they can't be fixed when they break and should be regarded as consumable items.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Welding_Projects

Guest diesel_jim

I've only used one in anger (Andy's at Allisport), but, to coin the phrase from Kellogs frosties... "they're greeeat!!"

i was grinning like a cheshire cat after using it! but like all things like that, i'd go for the biggest you can afford. same as my mig welder, i prolly won't ever weld the thickness that it can handle, but it enables me to weld the "normal" thicknesses with ease...

like wise with the plasma, get one that could chop 13mm plate, even if you'll never use it, that way you won't be struggling with day-to-day stuff.

I bought one of these:

http://www.johndavies.co.uk/nplasma.htm

Just a 30A one - it's on the limit of what you can run from a 13A socket - and I'm pretty pleased with it!

It will do a tidy cut on 6mm and a fairly rough cut on 8 or 10mm - but nothing a grinder wont fix.

They are chinese, but John Davies say they can be fixed, but have had none returned faulty yet.

The box it comes in is very cheaply made, but the internals are very nicely made indeed.

I suspect the internals are badge engineered for other bigger brand manufacturers (having seen the same layout of controls, size of box etc with one or two other brands printed on.)

Si

I have one of these :

Model 41

http://www.sureweld.co.uk/product_details.php?id=36

Small and compact, approx say 6 inches wide 14 inches long 12 inches height .........and easy to pick up.

plugs into the cooker circuity :blink: and cuts 6mm all day long 8mm ok, and 10mm messy but will do it.....

You have to have a BIG compressor too to keep up with it,

don't forget this these things EAT air and CFM,

my compressor is a 3hp single phase 75 litre tank, and it can beat it in the "Full to empty" game on long continous cuts..........

all you need then is a load of practise, its not easy to get nice neat cuts.......

Nige