Disco Intercooler upgrade

CROWN14

So I was down at my buddies shop the other day having some exhaust work done, and we were trying to figure out how to get a larger intercooler into the Disco. Do you move the rad towards the engine some and then sandwich the new intercooler in the gap? Cant seem to figure out any alternative...

The answer here may be cheaper & easier than you think.

I fitted a Leyland Daf intercooler from a 7.5 tonne truck. . . . . £35 at the commercial breakers yard.

It was about the same size & the standard rad & I cable tied it infront of the existing rad with a bead of rubber draft excluder to prevent rubbing.

By good fortune, this intercoolers pipes were in almost the same place as the ones on the original cooler.

Took the original cooler out , removed rad grille & in it went. 1.5 hrs later & back on the road.

Not only did it save £400 on a fancy aftermarket thing, but it works a treat & delivers power from 2>4k revvs regardless of air temperature.

Then I bought a load of bolt on goodies with the money saved.

Regards

Filthy.

So I was down at my buddies shop the other day having some exhaust work done, and we were trying to figure out how to get a larger intercooler into the Disco. Do you move the rad towards the engine some and then sandwich the new intercooler in the gap? Cant seem to figure out any alternative...

Thats the basics of it yeh, i believe there are two holes in the front cross member that are used to locate the bottom of the new cooler...... you need to remove the fan, and tilt the rad back as far as possible to fit it though i think.... then once it's in, put the rad and fan back on....

Thats the basics of it yeh, i believe there are two holes in the front cross member that are used to locate the bottom of the new cooler...... you need to remove the fan, and tilt the rad back as far as possible to fit it though i think.... then once it's in, put the rad and fan back on....

Nope, it's easier than that.

Remove the existing intercooler.

Fan cover off, remove fan, remove radiator top cover plate, & unbolt the power steering reservoir.

undo jubilee clips to top/bottom intercooler hoses.

unclip the water hose under fan shroud.

Remove fan shroud.

Out with the intercooler.

Caution to be applied in rocking the rad back as you could break the oil cooler connections. . . . .

I fitted my big intercooler by fitting through grill aperture.

Remove front grille & measure up in there.

When fitting the new cooler, make sure there is no contact with either the rad or cooler or the fins getting touched/worn/damaged.

get some big cable ties.

Note, the viscous fan knuckle nut is an anti-clockwise thread & there is a very cheap tool for undoing this nut - under £4.

Regards

Filthy.

I fitted my big intercooler by fitting through grill aperture.

Remove front grille & measure up in there.

When fitting the new cooler, make sure there is no contact with either the rad or cooler or the fins getting touched/worn/damaged.

get some big cable ties.

Note, the viscous fan knuckle nut is an anti-clockwise thread & there is a very cheap tool for undoing this nut - under £4.

Regards

Filthy.

Filth- so there is room between the aircon condenser and the radiator for a fat cooler? Or does yours not have AC?

Also, please tell me you got some measurements as locating a 7.5 tonne Leyland Daf truck here in the states might be a bit tough.

Filth- so there is room between the aircon condenser and the radiator for a fat cooler? Or does yours not have AC?

Also, please tell me you got some measurements as locating a 7.5 tonne Leyland Daf truck here in the states might be a bit tough.

Air-Con . . . . .

we don't have weather here in the UK, just rain, so NO air con in my vehicles.

Re intercooler size, the space in front of the rad - behind the grille is all you need to measure.

Re the donor intercooler, the more aluminium on it the better & the input/outlet points need to be approximately in the right place.

If you have a comercial vehicle breakers yard about & make a sketch with measurements, I'm sure the guys in the yard will identify some thing suitable.

I remember seeing several potential units that would have worked from different manufacturers.

you need to ensure it does not leak & is not caked in oily crud.

Filthy

Air-Con . . . . .

we don't have weather here in the UK, just rain, so NO air con in my vehicles.

Re intercooler size, the space in front of the rad - behind the grille is all you need to measure.

Re the donor intercooler, the more aluminium on it the better & the input/outlet points need to be approximately in the right place.

If you have a comercial vehicle breakers yard about & make a sketch with measurements, I'm sure the guys in the yard will identify some thing suitable.

I remember seeing several potential units that would have worked from different manufacturers.

you need to ensure it does not leak & is not caked in oily crud.

Filthy

Thanks, reason I ask about the AC is space looks tight with the condenser and fans in there...

hi, hope this isnt a spanner in the works but if your doing this to a diesel please be careful, as the design guys at land rover got the sums a little wrong with the heat created by the tdi , it runs very close to its cooling limits, if you place an intercooler in front of your rad the heat out of the intercooler then goes into the rad making the system that bit hotter, watch the temp gauge very close or fit some bloodt big fans to helpcool things down ,just a thought, engines are exspensive.

the design guys at land rover got the sums a little wrong with the heat created by the tdi , it runs very close to its cooling limits

Where on earth did you get that idea from? A properly functioning 300Tdi engine and cooling system is vastly over-cooled which is why a great many people run them with the viscous fan off to try and make the damn things warm up quicker! Even at 10 years old with most of the fins rotted out of the radiator, they still run within limits in a temperate climate most of the time unless you are towing or going downwind at low speed off road. The only time I have ever found the limit of a 300 cooling system was when using a fairly old 110 (about 8 years at a guess) towing another broken down 110 up a long steep hill with a strong following wind of about 30mph. The gauge started to rise a bit so I dropped a couple of gears and it went back down again. The radiator was half rotten and it later turned out that the viscous unit was f***ed as well, so the rise in the temp gauge was acceptable under the circumstances :)

hi, hope this isnt a spanner in the works but if your doing this to a diesel please be careful, as the design guys at land rover got the sums a little wrong with the heat created by the tdi , it runs very close to its cooling limits, if you place an intercooler in front of your rad the heat out of the intercooler then goes into the rad making the system that bit hotter, watch the temp gauge very close or fit some bloodt big fans to helpcool things down ,just a thought, engines are exspensive.

i ran my 200tdi 90 or months in the summer with no fan at all!! no problems with over heating!!!! i now have an electric fan fitted but it never cuts in!

Where on earth did you get that idea from? A properly functioning 300Tdi engine and cooling system is vastly over-cooled

It ain't overcooled over here, mate, especially the early ones with the very close aircon condenser and no aircon fans. But our temps do go above freezing point occasionally :P

OK Jim. It is overcooled in civilised countries with civilised temperatures maybe not in the middle of the bloody Sahara when you are towing an elephant :P

Well, you needn't go to the Sahara, or tow an elephant. Just add 6 adults, hook a 4x4 trailer, and go to Namibia in winter. That gauge (VDO) hardly ever gets below 100 C. Jim is right. In Africa a TDi is undercooled

My son called me today whilst on his way back from holliday. After a long climb up a mountain pass, (in the Karoo; a dry, hot area) the high temp alarm in his Disco TDi started screaming. He stopped, and waited for the engine to cool down. Phoned me later to give me an update on the amount of cars standing by the roadside with engine hoods lifted. Various makes

In Africa, a TDi's cooling capabilities get well tested !