axles and halfshafts

im geussing that my 86 nad 90 has 10 spline halfshafts? i was considering changing these, if for the experience and piece of mind, to 24 spline halfshafts

1. is these an easy job?

2. can i change the drum rear brakes to discs at the same time

whats the easiest way to go for this-bearing in mind if its hassle, i dont mind doing it so i can vaugley know how to do it if i do it again!

again, thanks for any advice i recieve!

geoff

i was considering this, but im kind of tempted to do it myself-if just to be able to say i have if nothing else.

so buying a complete axle aside, how easy/plausable is it as an option?

and i will turn up my own shafts if i have to!!!

i was considering this, but im kind of tempted to do it myself-if just to be able to say i have if nothing else.

so buying a complete axle aside, how easy/plausable is it as an option?

and i will turn up my own shafts if i have to!!!

if you do alot of off roading, keep the 10 sline front and put a 110 salsbury on the back, there very strong and seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper!

the 24 spline front axles are weaker as the splines do not flex causing the shaft to break, where as the 10 spline shafts do. clicky - to the ashcrofts page showing this.

blimey-never realised that!

if i did keep them, how easy is it to break them down 2 have a ganders at the condition of whats inside and give it a once over?and is it worth doing?

i dont do alot, although its something i'd like to get into more of-ive done bits of green laning until i had to change gearbox-a few months ago. have done some interesting bits a work-through forests and pulled over trees, etc.

If you're not breaking your current setup then I wouldn't prat about with it - there's a lot to be said for mechanical sympathy although, of course, you're not a real man unless you grenade at least one major driveline component on each outing :rolleyes:

If you're not breaking your current setup then I wouldn't prat about with it - there's a lot to be said for mechanical sympathy although, of course, you're not a real man unless you grenade at least one major driveline component on each outing :rolleyes:

LMAO id best get a sex change quick then!

The 10 spline set up is fine imo if you running tyres such as all terrains/road biased tyres. when you really start getting stuck etc and trying to get unstuck is usually when youll break a half shaft or diff imo.

its not hard to strip your rear axles, remove all the bolts that hold the drive flange on and then pull the lot out with the half shaft to have a look at it, the rear diff isnt hard with both halfshaft removed, drain the diff oil, remove the propshaft and unbolt the diff and lift it out. the fronts are a bit more involved needing the swivel to be stripped to look at half shafts and cvs.

theres a really good saying, if it aint broke dont fix it! but maintain it with regular oil changes etc and grease your props etc. instead of stripping the vehicle just for the laugh, spend a few hours washing the underneath and waxoyling it etc.

hmmmmm-decisions decisions. im half tempted to as i doubt i can afford to re insure her for at least 6 months (just started training scheme on other side of m25 so transport was an issue-so a 1.9 vauxhall combo it is!) so it might give me something to do :blink: not that i dont already. i think i'll put it on the "maybe if i can be arsed" list/ see if i can find a set of axles for less than £50 to "play" with...i will be popular!

LMAO id best get a sex change quick then!

The 10 spline set up is fine imo if you running tyres such as all terrains/road biased tyres. when you really start getting stuck etc and trying to get unstuck is usually when youll break a half shaft or diff imo.

its not hard to strip your rear axles, remove all the bolts that hold the drive flange on and then pull the lot out with the half shaft to have a look at it, the rear diff isnt hard with both halfshaft removed, drain the diff oil, remove the propshaft and unbolt the diff and lift it out. the fronts are a bit more involved needing the swivel to be stripped to look at half shafts and cvs.

theres a really good saying, if it aint broke dont fix it! but maintain it with regular oil changes etc and grease your props etc. instead of stripping the vehicle just for the laugh, spend a few hours washing the underneath and waxoyling it etc.

waxoyling is fairly high on the list of things to do.

it was more a case of

i have a vehicle older then me, i dont know its service history, and currently, theres no urgent requirement for it to go back on the road so i figured for the sake of learning to do things/peace of mind for myself i may aswell check the states of things/upgrade things where nessecary. its also (as im sure for many of you) my main hobby that i spend alot of money on (besides tattoos) thats "mine"-and if im brutally honest, i miss engineering-spent 2 years doing it at college, then the closest i get now is rebuilding the odd saw at work! its just not the same! (incidently one of the guys i do work for has 5 or so 101's and i helped him rebuild 2ish)

also, i dont intend to sell her soon, so if taking the axle off, to pieces, checking it, changing x y and z, giving it a sand, prime, re paint or whatever..if i do this for everything then in the long run-huzzah! a vehicle that is the fruit of my labour! and it'll probably last a bit longer!

i geuss thats my logic, although ive been up since 5 :blink: its all a bit fuzzy...

I can't believe there's nothing else that could possibly need doing on an old LR rather than stripping & rebuilding a pair of serviceable axles :huh:

there is, i just figured id start at the front and work backwards!

If the axles are servicable leave well aloan, if you still want to settle your mind drop the oils out into a clean container and see if any shiny bits drop out then stick your finger in and see what you can feel, drop the swivel oil also and you should then be satisfied that there is no significant degradation of the oily bits and you've replaced with fresh oil. I would expect the oil to come out looking much as it went in unless its emulsified.

Having just obtained a front axle from a reputable breakers and found the drive form rusted to the shaft and the inner swivel seal failed spreading grease into the diff casing its taken me much longer than expected to prepare the axle to install than expected. :angry: