Just my luck

Having noticed a leak under the thermostat housing yesterday and the housing threads for the thermostat are gone so i decided to replace the gasket and the housing today as i had a spare, but it didnt quite go to plan

med_gallery_3861_741_21593.jpg

after 2 of the bolt heads snapped the third just came out, so my new plan was to slide the housing off and put a stud extractor on the 2 bolts and take them out but the housing dosent want to slide off the bolts,ive managed to break the seal between the housing and the cylinder head but cant get it off.

Any ideas? oh and my mot is on moday :(

I'm afraid it sounds like its coming down to a "Brute Force & Ignorance" approach needed here, with plenty of persuading.

I guess the bolts have corroded to the extent where they've become "at-one" with the housing casting, maybe plenty of WD40 and a good "wiggling" might shift it, trouble is of course that you dont want to damage the mounting face by levering it off directly.

At least you dont have to worry too much about damaging the housing, assuming your spare is a complete one.

Having noticed a leak under the thermostat housing yesterday and the housing threads for the thermostat are gone so i decided to replace the gasket and the housing today as i had a spare, but it didnt quite go to plan

med_gallery_3861_741_21593.jpg

after 2 of the bolt heads snapped the third just came out, so my new plan was to slide the housing off and put a stud extractor on the 2 bolts and take them out but the housing dosent want to slide off the bolts,ive managed to break the seal between the housing and the cylinder head but cant get it off.

Any ideas? oh and my mot is on moday :(

try little heat and poor water on the hot bit. works a treat with me.

Try useing angle grinder or something like a dremil grinder and grind the housing away down the side of the bolts untill you get to the bolt . This will realease some of the housings grip on the bolts also the build up of heat helps as well . try not to get too close to the head though . You will then still have the full length of the bolts to grip on to get them out. Another option might be to use a centre punch on the housing down the sides of the bolts this sometimes spreads the housing enough to realease it .

cheers for the advice everyone i'll try out each idea tomorrow and let you know how i get on.

Western i want to try and avoid cutting the bolt flush with the head because my stud extractor works by fitting over whatever is sticking out so i'd like to try and keep some of the bolt sticking out.

cheers for the advice everyone i'll try out each idea tomorrow and let you know how i get on.

Western i want to try and avoid cutting the bolt flush with the head because my stud extractor works by fitting over whatever is sticking out so i'd like to try and keep some of the bolt sticking out.

Yep can see the logic in that, levering it off or cutting the stat housing off the bolt shanks wil be probably the only way.

bad news :( having bought the gsket today and putting it all together it still leaks and it would seem it is not leaking from that gasket.

On top of the timing case below the thermostat housing the coolant seems to be coming up and leaking out, dont know if ive managed to explain this very well but i have no idea what gasket or seal i need to change to sort this one out.

If it is the thin paper gaskit at the back of the timing cover to block fitting it a big job which you could do when the timing belt is due. In the past i have had some joy with ‘wonderweld’ it lasted until i was ready to do the job properly. But please follow the instructions on the bottle and flush all the antifreeze out completely