Timing Chain

westonben

Many V8s have nasty nylon looking teeth gears on the unit that the chain goes around, this wears and the chain stretches, timing out is one thing, its not unknown for the teeth to wear away / break off and then the fun starts.

Replacement of the crank and cam gears with a duplex / roller chain and steel gears makes for a much stronger V8, aviod vernier timing gear units unless you into exotic, or wish to place yourself in a world of pain :lol:

Nige

As usual, the BogMonster offers wise advice!

If you want to appear knowledgeable to you prospective purchaser, you may find useful things to talk about here. Scroll down and you will fond information about timing chains amongst the other useful stuff about the V8 engine.

You may wish to have a look at yours so you can reassure yourself as to its condition (and even perhaps show him!)

Timing chain replacement is on my "to do" list as my engine has done 96k miles, so I can avoid the "fun" described by HFH above! :o

It's a good idea to replace the cam, lifters and timing chain together. Rover cams should be changed around 80k or sooner if performance drops off. Some of the aftermarket cams last longer. Best timing chain set up for a RV8 is the Rollmaster (don't stretch and crank gear has cut outs to advance / retard timing) which is the same as used on a lot of Aussie V8 muscle cars.