power outlets

Exmoor Beast

I have loads of these for various things:

s379.jpg

I was going to buy sockets separately but it's actually a lot more expensive :( these only cost a fiver each and have decent mountings on the bottom if you need them. They can also be hard-wired if you chop the plug off.

Not sure if you are planning to stay with the cigarette lighter type socet or change connectors but I use these:

210_255471.png

and these on whatever it is I'm plugging in:

210_941666173.png

They are 3 pin XLR connectors. Usually I use the Neutrik type, but there are several manufacturers. Three pins means I can wire them up as a permanent live and an ignition switched live for whatever it is I am using. You can get good water proof covers for the sockets too. The plugs lock into the socket nicely so yhey don't work loose.

It does mean things need to be rewired to use them, but I also carry an XLR-Fag lighter socket lead for plugging other stuff in with!

here is one installed in the lightweight:

dropper1.JPG

(incidentally, there is also a 12V cigarette lighter socket that I found in the local caravan shop...)

Hope that helps

Mark

cheers folks, I like the look of those Mark, they might be a good idea for the searchlight which is on a long coiled lead and is a swine for pulling itself out of the cigar socket type fitting.

Also good for stopping folk from borrowing my light ;)

The last outlets were just wired direct from the battery via an inline fuse, probably not the best solution. I think I need some auto-electrical lessons. :o

Will :)

Will

Speak to the chap at Mobile Storage Systems!

He sells an excellent 12v socket for about £6 that is very robust from which the plug does not fall out.

You can still use cigarette lighter plugs with it.

Alternatively look at "din" type sockets/plugs that look similar to ciggy plugs but have a point that is held in the socket by a couple of bar springs either side. Some of these plugs have a removeable plastic end that allows them to be used in either din or ciggy sockets.

John

These are the things you need....

sb2.gif

Anderson Connectors 350A

:ph34r:

Matthew

You must be the only guy I have ever heard of with 3 phase in his landy ;) , wouldn't do much wading with that :D:o

Back OnT, since the subject has been raised does anyone know what the difference is between your standard Cig plug / socket and the type with the big brass pin on the end?

I have only ever seen them on German cars and equipment, the plug usually has a detachable red plastic end cover / adaptor which is supposed to be fitted when using in a standard cig socket. What are they, what are the benefits & are they interchangeable?

Sorry I don't have a pic of the things.

Back OnT, since the subject has been raised does anyone know what the difference is between your standard Cig plug / socket and the type with the big brass pin on the end?

I have only ever seen them on German cars and equipment, the plug usually has a detachable red plastic end cover / adaptor which is supposed to be fitted when using in a standard cig socket. What are they, what are the benefits & are they interchangeable?

Sorry I don't have a pic of the things.

DIN plugs - positive location and a better current carrying capability, I use em bikes to power heated vests and stuff, reasonably water resistant and no hassles with living outdoors

do a search for Durite and they are in the catalogue