Thick Question - Swivel Balls

It's late and I'm tired and can't be bothered to go out and have a look :rolleyes:

I fitted a new oil seal to the near-side swivel ball a while ago by unbolting the ball off the axle, and lifting the whole lot out. The ball was in good condition but the seal had failed.

Now the off-side is leaking, due to pitting on the ball.

Question is: is replacing the swivel ball as easy as removing the brake caliper and the two swivel pins and lifting the hub off the ball, or does it require a full strip as per workshop manual?

Cheers peeps

Full strip of wheel bearings, hub and swivel bearings... Depending on the history of maintenance and the general condition, it may be worth renewing the lot as it won't break the bank. The most expensive part is the new swivel ball (if it's overly pitted)...

HTH

Adrian

Full strip of wheel bearings, hub and swivel bearings... Depending on the history of maintenance and the general condition, it may be worth renewing the lot as it won't break the bank. The most expensive part is the new swivel ball (if it's overly pitted)...

HTH

Adrian

<_< I support this motion. Once in there, get everything finished and thou shall live the life to the fullest!! :o Everything Knakkered from swivel bearings, Oil seal, Hub bearings if wobbly and add a gaiter which protects the Chrome from water, sand and pooh!! :o

Nb ** that knackered steering stop was drilled out and replaced.. Shows on the fully finished job!!

post-7610-1233321297_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1233321505_thumb.jpg

Can it be done though?

I recently changed my CV joint, unfortunately the swivel had taken a bit of a hammering getting the truck home and the seal is now leaking. It's had new bearings and stub axle along with the CV so I know they're sound, can the swivel housing be removed as a unit? Admittedly it would only save half an hour but its got me thinking - I'm sure it could.

Then its just ball off, new seal and ball back on then the housing and caliper... What am I missing?

Stu.

This needs the ball replacing as it's pitted, everything else is ok. I was just wondering if I could simply remove the swivel pins (as thats all that holds the housing to the ball), unbolt the seal off the back of the housing and lift out the full assembly, rather thn having to strip the full hub/housing.

Cheers peoples

I changed both my swivels seals by removing the wheel/brake caliper & unbolting the ring of bolts that hold the stub axle to the main case & pulled the lot off in one lump, stood the studs in the wheel & then swapped the seal for the new ones.

This needs the ball replacing as it's pitted, everything else is ok. I was just wondering if I could simply remove the swivel pins (as thats all that holds the housing to the ball), unbolt the seal off the back of the housing and lift out the full assembly, rather thn having to strip the full hub/housing.

Cheers peoples

We did it like that on RRC to change the swivel balls. Disassembly was easy, to put everthing back together required a lot of 'wiggling' to get the CVs and swivle ball seated correctly at the same time. But it can be done, and I would do it again if need be.