discovery tuning

gaz0203

just been tuning my disco using info found on this site and i must say.. what a difference!! ive been inside the pump and done the necessary adjustments. ive also fitted a boost gauge, upped the boost slightly, fitted a set of high clones, and fitted a front silencer replacement pipe, my question is im toying with the idea of putting a performance air filter in but am not sure whether this will make any difference, any body had any experiences with this?

Thanks for posting that Steve - saved me the effort.

I should mention that the unmentionable 'filter' was fitted from 80-166 k kms with the damage as shown there. I was not very rich at the time so honed the bores a bit and fitted new KS rings and a paper air filter. The engine is now at 275k kms and starts perfectly and goes well. Sometimes a bit of smoke when cold, but that's it.

It was a KanNot™ filter, specially made for the 300Tdi Defender casing. It said it was made in the UK rather than the US.

It looks rather like the paper element type. The only difference is that it doesn't filter anything so you might as well run with no filter at all. You can get away with that in the UK, I used to run motorbikes with alloy venturis and no filter at all.

I've still got the 'filter', don't know why really. Can post a foto of it if you want one. I thought of fitting it to my lawn mower, but that died and now I have an electric one.

• 3 weeks later...

Which thread?

Easy enough to do anyway, take the four screws out and remove the top from the diaphragm unit, note EXACTLY where the tick mark is on the metal centre of the diaphragm (best thing is to mark a line with a marker pen across the rubber and onto the metal body) and then pull that out. Turn the starwheel the required amount, refit the diaphragm in the same position and pop the top back on.

Which thread?

Easy enough to do anyway, take the four screws out and remove the top from the diaphragm unit, note EXACTLY where the tick mark is on the metal centre of the diaphragm (best thing is to mark a line with a marker pen across the rubber and onto the metal body) and then pull that out. Turn the starwheel the required amount, refit the diaphragm in the same position and pop the top back on.

oops, i forgot to mark the diaphragm unit, which might explain my problem now

i was fiddling with the star wheel, and iturned it 1 turn clockwise, an improvement by a small amount, so i turned another full turn, big improvement with the boost but before the boost i have no power, its worse than before i even touched the smoke screw, and it was putting out a lot of smoke when flooring it and when holding at full throttle, so i turned down the smoke screw, which had little effect. also when i completely dropped off the revs the engine juddered as if on the edge of stalling, so i sorted that with the power screw, but still no take off power and a lot of smoke,

i decided to turn the star wheel back by half a turn and see what happened, slightly less power and smoke, but still no power when pulling away, can anyone give tips?

mikey