Problem with white smoke

kevinr

I've read round a few posts, but nothing seems to match what I am getting, so here goes.

When driving home last night, (the engine died on me 3 times when I forst started it, which has never happened before, and didn't this morning...could be important) I pulled out of a junction onto a 60mph road, and had to accelerate hard, just before I went to change to 2nd, the engine lost compression for a moment, then on subsequent changes through to 4th, it would feel under powered.

Once I was in 4th and 5th, it all seemed fine, the rest of the drive home was normal.

This morning, all seemed normal, the drive was fine.

Now, the issue, Before I went anywhere today, I decided to check the engine over, given the events of the previous night..and I also had to check the oil, due to an oil leak got worse..I think it's gearbox related, what I can tell is it's peeing out alover my handbrake drum :blink:

The oil is clean (recently changed, and the engine is as clean as an offroader can be) all the HT leads are fitted correctly, and I can see/hear no air leaks from any hoses, however, I get a plume of white smoke from the exhaust, usually after the engine is revved, and it gets worse as the engine warms up.

Any ideas on the smoke issue?

The baffles in my middle box are damaged from what I can here, this follows a misfire incident I had after replacing the ignition system, and a lead came loose during use...was a bloody brand new box too :( anyone know if I can replace that with a through pipe?

How's your coolant levels?

White smoke or steam?

coolant levels appear ok...i'm not to sharp with checking fluid levels..poor drills I know.

I think it's smoke, didn't really consider steam, I do have water dribbling out the exhaust pipe which is a common occurance, so I would assume if it's steam coming out, would there still be condensed water present?

hmmm..I had a similar thought, but came here hoping there could be other reasons that I could check first. I already got a quote for a repair by a local landrover mechanic...after much chocking and spluttering on my coffee, I said my thank yous and hung up, I can get a full gasket kit for a tenth of the price quoted and do the job nyself..it's just getting the time :(

Ref: White smoke, check your brake fluid level, I had a cloud of white smoke out of the back of my v8 disco when doing a brake test. Traced it to the vaccum pipe between the servo and the intake manifold sucking brake fluid from the servo/leaking brake master cylinder. As yours is an EFI it could be giving the lambda sensor in the exhaust a false reading. Only idea not gospel!

• 3 months later...

i recently bought a discovery with suspected head gasket gone tits up. After alot of faffing with the after market alarm i managed to have my way with it and got it running. It was not firing on no1 and 5(not sure how you count v8 cyclinders, the two at the front?) Changed the plugs as they were wet and shagged, it ran fine. Got up to temp and suddenly the system pressurises and chucks some water out the exhaust, is this classic inlet manifold gasket symtoms or cracked head? Stripping it down soon but was hoping for some good news, preferably just the gasket gone

i recently bought a discovery with suspected head gasket gone tits up. After alot of faffing with the after market alarm i managed to have my way with it and got it running. It was not firing on no1 and 5(not sure how you count v8 cyclinders, the two at the front?) Changed the plugs as they were wet and shagged, it ran fine. Got up to temp and suddenly the system pressurises and chucks some water out the exhaust, is this classic inlet manifold gasket symtoms or cracked head? Stripping it down soon but was hoping for some good news, preferably just the gasket gone

V8 cylinders are numbered even on one bank and odd on the other. 1 is by the dizzy, 2 the driver side front, 3 is then the second cylinder back on pass side and so on.

Rear

8 7

6 5

4 3

2 1

Front

Well if you've got problems with opposing cylinders from each bank it would seem likely to be the inlet manifold- it attaches to both sides. If you had a head gasket/head/liner issue you would only see cylinders from one side go at a time, and they would likely be next to each other.

Either that or you have two head gaskets gone and you have just had the bad luck equivalent of winning the lottery. I mean, what are the chances?? :D I guess you could check compression on those cylinders in reference to the other "normal" ones as inlet manifold would not affect it like head failure would? I may be wrong on this though...

Good luck with it.

was hoping it would be the inlet, the pressurising didnt seem good though. Stripped her down and the inlet was fine so started on the heads. no2 has blown through to the waterway, didnt have time to strip the other side but bought a lottery ticket just in case, think it was just a coincidence 1 was not firing.

It has pitted the block by the liner, do you think it will be fine filled in or would it upset the fine tolerences of a rover v8?

Picture2353.jpg