USA 4x4 holiday

ibexman

Im wanting to have a combined holiday this year , a week in las vagas and aweek in moab doing some 4x4 trails has anyone done this how was it , who was it with did you have to book it all separatly cheers chris :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I did two nights in Las Vegas and it was two nights too many. I'd spend two weeks in Moab if I were you. :)

I did two nights in Las Vegas and it was two nights too many.

Don't agree, Ceasar's palace, Bellagio fountains, Venetian, stratosphere, death valley, helicopter into the grand canyon, eagle point, Cirque de soleil shows, red rock canyon etc. Great way to spend a week.

I used trailfinders to organise the flights, accommodation and 4x4 hire. Hired a jeep for a couple of days to do the more extreme trails.

I would strongly advise getting in touch with Bill & Rachel Burke of 4wheeling America, www.bb4wa.com to see if they are in the area at the same time. Bill is a Camel Trophy veteran and a great guy, he just knows stuff! We have been quite a few times and always try and hook up for one of his trips. Great value. No relationship other than we signed up for one of his trips and have become good friends over the years.

Las Vegas is out of this world but only for a few days at a time, a week would be my limit. We normally fly in to Vegas or Denver. Moab is a wee bit tricky to get to so we either hire a small (US small) car which is quite reasonable. Normally we are asked if we want an upgrade, we refuse then get one anyway as they dont have any economy cars available. We normally book everything independently.

Moab is posibly my favourite place on earth, we will be going back as soon as the travel budget has recovered. Last year we shipped our 90 to California and done about 5500 miles including Moab and in to Colorado. Photos here

You can rent very capable Jeep Rubicons from several places in Moab, our first trip we rented from Cliffhanger and it broke on the first morning, unfortunately it was New Year and they didnt have a replacement, luckilly Bill Burke sorted us out. Faradays is a bigger rental company with depots in several states, Arizona and maybe Vegas too. You will be limited to the lesser extreme trails with a rental but there is still more than enough to challenge most people. It is a huge area.

Depending on when you go the weather can be lethal, it is extremely hot is summer and way below freezing in winter, spring or autumn is very pleasant.

There is an excellent guide book Moab Utah Backroads and 4-whel drive traails by Chuck Wells, its worth a look and readuilly available in several shops when you get there. isbn 0-9664976-2-7

We normally stay in the Moab Bighorn Lodge, simple and well placed, the town of Moab is not big. If you want any more info feel free to PM me. Have a great trip.

Picture398.jpg

Picture1210.jpg

Picture1183.jpg

Picture417.jpg

Picture791.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

HoleInTheRockUtah069.jpg

My ideal trip would be. Fly in to Denver. Collect 4x4 and head west taking in classic trails through Colorado. Plan your route through, Silverton, Durango, Ouray, before arriving in Moab. Fly back from Salt Lake City. Monument Valley is an easy diversion. Worth it to drive through that classic scenery. The Colorado - Utah route means you'll get a more varied mix of mountains, ghost towns , desert and slickrock

Another thumbs up for Bill Burke.

Charles Wells guides are a must. He does a Colorado guide as well as the Utah book.

Arizona2.jpg

Colorado3.jpg

Careful on the high routes in Colorado. This is September on Engineer Pass!

Colorado1.jpg

I've now been to Moab twice, went ona hummer tour last yr, OMG...........

Not yet got around to hiring a jeep and going off on my own, always a bit apprehensive about lack of phone coverage etc...... plus knowing you're in exactly the right place ..... one day maybe...

Can highly recommend Colorado, Pikes peak is awesome!!

There are some amazing areas, most of them not really on the maps.... garden of the gods in colorado springs is quite special, and almost at the foot of pikes peak.....

ARRGHHHH!!!! How jealous am I! B)

Jimfoo on this forum lives in Colorado and maybe a good person to get some hints and tips from.

Vegas is cool, there is soooooo much to do there, and the hotels are just out of this world... The only downside for me was the constant hassle from the people trying to give you calling cards all the time (maybe not a problem if the misses ain't going with you!! ;) ). But given the choice of Vegas or Moab? Moab wins every time for me:)

Moab... There is a tourist info shop in the middle of town which is brilliant... has all the trail books you could want or need, including those mentional already by Bill Burke and Charles Wells. Combine them with some of the maps they also sell (we got the National Geographic ones) and you can't go far wrong. When we were there in 2007 we spent nearly 2 weeks driving the trails, visiting the national parks and mountain biking. I wish we could have stayed longer. We were camping and stayed at the Canyonlands campground on Main Street a couple of nights. That way we were able to sample the bars like the Moab Brewery and Eddie McStiffs. The other nights we mainly stayed out on the trails. There are loads of "unfurnished" camp sites on the trails, again the tourist info shop will be able to give you all the info you need.

There are loads of tour companies in moab, but we made our own way. Only downside of this is that we had to take it pretty easy as we were on our own.

hellsrevenge.jpg

topoftheworld.jpg

Top of the world

finsnthings.jpg

The national parks... Arches and Canyonlands N.P. are on Moabs doorstep. Both are pretty cool.

Furthre down the road are places like Bryce Canyon and Zion to mention just 2

After leaving Moab we checked out Colorado and some of the trails there...

charlie_engineer.jpg

And Monument Valley...

charlie_monument.jpg

Whatever you do, you will have an awesome time and wish you could have had longer.

I too would spend more time in Moab. And I live only 300 miles away! It's true, the resources available for the hiker/biker/wheeler in the Moab area is second to none. They want you to go have fun and bring the rental jeep back.

Jimfoo is an excellent resource for trips and trails around this area, you can find his work here www.solihullsociety.org

or sometimes you can find him at my place drinking my beer!