300 tdi Headlamps

PaulN

Would anyone have any ideas why after so many thousands of miles and no electrical issues, one of my headlamps decided to go dim and then main beam bulb - he no shine?

Moved the connector around a bit and hey presto - back on again.

So I'll have to look for signs of corrosion but at least it's working 'till I can get to it.

Now it's not again and neither now is the other nearside headlamp??

Upon inspection (removed headlamp) both 3 pin plastic connectors have one piece melted away and crumbling.

Any ideas why this could be or might it be just age related?

I expect a responsible adult will come along in a minute, but when this sort of thing happens on mine, I start from the "What have I done recently that might have caused that?" transaction.

In the absence of recognising that the carwash I went through yesterday, or the over-enthusiastic use of a jet wash/the high intensity bulbs I fitted last week might have done it, I would start looking for the short circuit or ineffective earth strap that may be linked to the problem.

An alternative may also be that the fittings are really old and have simply outlasted their useful life.

It may be helpful to have a bit more detail on age, mods, etc to help us diagnose............... ;)

I had the same trouble as you describe but I did a lot of fording that week and the conectors were corroded,I removed cleaned and then filled the connector block(lift up the plastic flap )with silicon and refitted then silconed all around the rubber bit in the back of the head light and have had no more issues.

I had the same trouble as you describe but I did a lot of fording that week and the conectors were corroded,I removed cleaned and then filled the connector block(lift up the plastic flap )with silicon and refitted then silconed all around the rubber bit in the back of the head light and have had no more issues.

I don't know why this happens but melting headlamp connector plugs is surprisingly common on series 1 discoveries. It's usually the nearside headlight that's affected which is even more odd.

Just change the connector plugs and forget about it- it's easier.

Never managed to figure out why it happens.

connector plugs usually melt as a result of a high current, caused by excessive resistance. could be high wattage bulbs fitted, running too many accesory lamps of the main beam feed, or just corrosion of the connectors. H4 repair kits are available from good auto electrical suppliers for a few quid. i suspect the n/s is more prone as it takes more of a hammering from puddle splashes.

my n/s headlamp is fogged up, and the reflector is corroding, although i plan to fit 300 tdi lamps at some point in the near future.

theoretically, (someone correct me here if im wrong) but if there is a poor earth, more current will be required to create an earth path. so as the bulb is in series with the earth, it should go dim. so check and clean all earth connectors for the lamp units, and replace both plug connectors for the bulbs seeing as one has melted. chafed wiring looms will cause a short circuit to earth meaning that the fuse will blow

Check the earth (-) connection to the body. On each harness running to the headlamps an earth wire protrudes and this wire is bolted to the body on a stud. That solved my headlight gremlins.

Sorry about the delay in getting back - had to pick the missus up from work!

Managed to wedge the burnt crumbling connectors to get some lumens for that sortie - now all I have to do is unfreeze my hands.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

I too am thinking that the more recent lamps are a lot brighter and therefor hotter and in addition the old girl (truck) is nearly 13 and the insulation has just given up.

The only thing that I've change recently is to remove the viscous fan and I have to say that it was from that day I remember smelling a hot (and now I come to think about it burning) smell. Just put it down to oily engine running hotter at the time.

Surely there can't be a connection between less cooling through the engine bay and the melting of connectors? - naw!

Thanks to everyone for pointers and to karlo for link.

I'll check the earthing and corrosion issues later today but from memory there's no corrosion but on one blade of each of the bulbs is scorched and the connector part that relates to that blade is melted away and that implies too much load (heat) or a short?

Maybe the connectors are tired but either way as per your suggestions I'll be looking for an obvious cause and change the connectors and bulbs for new and w/proof where sensible.

These any good from fleabay? H4

Are they heavy duty enough?

I'm also wondering if I was to rob the wife's purse and get some of those "even brighter" bulbs (30% brighter, 50% brighter or 80% brighter ) whether that will cause the same problem because the original bulbs were so much cooler???

Thanks karlo I will definitely get some of those bulbs then - especially as it appears they have a "bogof" on just now!

Here's a couple of pics just taken for interest - still can't work it out but I'll replace all and see how it goes.

Really appreciate help & advice.

post-12912-1233748708_thumb.jpg

post-12912-1233748786_thumb.jpg

Quite right.

I put the meter on the charred wire and 'tis the earth.

New connectors and bulbs (via your link) now ordered.

When you work out your relay circuit and layout I and I'm sure a few others would be interested - seems from other contributor that it's a common thing and MOT point of failure.

Will report back - thxs again!

Can't use the Smileys cos I'm on a Mac but I would have used a Smiley Smiley!!

Quite right.

I put the meter on the charred wire and 'tis the earth.

New connectors and bulbs (via your link) now ordered.

When you work out your relay circuit and layout I and I'm sure a few others would be interested - seems from other contributor that it's a common thing and MOT point of failure.

Will report back - thxs again!

Can't use the Smileys cos I'm on a Mac but I would have used a Smiley Smiley!!

When you are wiring your new connectors it might also be worth considering running an additional wire from the earth connectors directly back to the battery -ve terminal to provide a good earth to the headlights. This would supplement the "body" earths which may be of dubious value due to corrosion.

Could help to get brighter lights.

Job done and headlamps permanently on now!

Put double connectors to the earth at the new lamp connectors and ran a common earth back to the battery as per 'Nicedayforit'.

Talk about bright....What with hard and fast earth and these 90% brighter xenon thingys (half price on line using 'Karlo's' link above) - 1st time out last night and rekon I could see a mile - thanks chaps.